About RRB NTPC
Railway Recruitment Board (RRB) is an organization under Government of India. Its job is to hire new employees to work in Indian Railways. RRB has 21 regional branches in different parts of India. The RRBs do all required procedures for recruitment of candidates into various departments of Indian Railways.
RRB NTPC is an entrance exam for the non-technical posts with various RRBs across India. Earlier, Railways used to take separate recruitment examinations for every zone. However, this year onwards the exam has been combined for all the RRBs. It implies that exam paper will be same for all the zones. This is also the first time that this exam will be conducted online.
RRB NTPC Job Profile
Goods Guard: A Goods Guard is in the charge of running a train. Goods Guard will be in charge of a goods train. His duties includes:
- Get the vehicle guidance (VG – written document containing numbers of wagons, their tare weight, load tonnage of individual wagons, total tonnage) from Station Master/Yard Master.
- Check that doors of wagons are closed.
- Check the brake continuity with Loco Pilot.
- Sign the Brake Power certificate (BPC) after ensuring sufficient brake power
- Constantly monitor the formation on the run for any abnormalities.
- Prepare train reports like Combined Train Reports, Late Arrival Reports…
- Attend along with LP/ALP minor troubles experienced on the run like brake binding etc.
Job of a Goods Guard is somewhat strenuous in nature that he has stay in his brake van during the entire run where no basic facilities are given. Nowadays the situation has slightly improved with the running of 8 wheeler Brake van.
Career Path/ Promotions: A Goods Guard will have the following career growth.
- Goods Guard
- Passenger Guard
- Express Guard
- Section Controller
- Chief Controller
Assistant station master: The assistant station master (ASM) is in charge of running of trains at his station of posting. As an ASM you will be operating the signals, ensuring that all tasks are completed as per the rule book.
Shift: Yes. An ASM has to work in shifts, however the working schedule of 8 hours per day.
No. of ASM at one station: Generally each station has one ASM, though bigger stations may have more than one ASM.
Career path: As an ASM you will have the following career path
- Assistant Station Master
- Station Master
- Station Supt.
- Assistant Operations Manager
- Divisional Operations Manager
RRB NTPC Exam Pattern
Aspirants opting for RRB NTPC should know the Selection Procedure of the recruitment. Students will be selected on the basis of the marks scored in first & second stage whereas other stages will be qualifying in nature. Below are the following stages of the recruitment:
- First Stage Prelims Examination (PT–CBT)
- Second Stage Examination (Mains–CBT)
- Typing Test (Skill Test)
- Aptitude Test
- Document Verification
- Medical Fitness Test
- Final Merit List
RRB NTPC 2018 Prelims Exam Pattern
|S.No.||Name of topic||No. of Questions||Marks||Time Duration|
|1||Arithmetic Ability||20||20||90 Minutes|
- Total 100 questions will be asked of 1 mark each.
- 90 minutes will be provided.
- 0.25 will be deducted for every wrong answer.
RRB NTPC 2018 Mains Exam Pattern
|S.No.||Section||Number of Questions||Marks||Time Duration|
|1||Arithmetic Ability||30||30||90 Minutes|
|2||Reasoning and General Intelligence||30||30|
- Mains will consist of 4 sections mentioned above.
- A total sum of 120 questions will be asked.
- 90 minutes will be given to solve the question paper
- Negative marking of 0.25 for every wrong answer.
RRB NTPC Syllabus
General Awareness and General Science
- Indian Polity.
- Indian Economic Scenario.
- Current Affairs – International & National.
- History & Culture of India.
- Geography of India.
- Indian Constitution.
- Science & Technology.
- Issues related to India and Neighbouring Countries etc.
- Profit and Loss.
- Ratios and Proportions.
- Problems on Ages.
- Simple & Compound Interest.
- Time and Distances.
- Pipes & Cisterns.
- Time and Work
- Areas & Volumes
- Data Interpretation etc.
- General Intelligence and Reasoning
General Intelligence and reasoning
- Space visualization.
- Problem solving.
- Relationship concepts.
- Decision making.
- Visual memory.
- Arithmetical Number Series.
- Similarities & Differences.
- Verbal and Figure Classification.
- Non-verbal series etc.