Current Affairs of 30th April 2021 by Bidyasagar Classes,Bhubaneswar
1. Govt targets 17 million tonnes mustard production by 2025-26
The Government plans to bring around nine million hectares of land under mustard cultivation and raise the production to around 17 million tonnes (mt) by 2025-26, according to Shubha Thakur, Joint Secretary (Oilseeds), Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare.
2.Haryana allots 140 acre land to Flipkart for setting up its largest fulfillment center in Asia
The Haryana government has approved the allotment of 140 acres of land to e-commerce major Flipkart for setting up its largest fulfillment center in Asia, having a covered area of 3 million square feet in Patli Hajipur in Gurugram district’s Manesar.
3.Norway Contributes 20 Million NOK to India for COVID 19 Relief Fund
- The government of Norway has announced a contribution of 20 million Norwegian Kroners(NOK)(~2.4 million USD or ~Rs.18 crore) to support the COVID-19 relief in India. The fund of Norway will be channeled through the World Health Organization(WHO) and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC).
- New Zealand will provide 1 million New Zealand Dollars(NZD) (~720365 USD or ~ Rs.5 crore) to the Red Cross to support the COVID-19 relief in India.
- Canada has pledged to donate 10 Million USD to Indian Red Cross to support the medical emergencies in India due to COVID-19.
4.UK Became the First Country to Adopt Self-Driving Cars on Motorways
- The United Kingdom(UK) government became the first country in the globe to permit self-driving cars on motorways after the announcement of its plan on April 28, 2021, to regulate the use of self-driving vehicles at slow speeds on motorways.
5.Riva Ganguly Das co-chairs 23rd ASEAN-India Senior Officials Meeting 2021
- On 28th April 2021, Ministry of External Affairs Secretary (East) Mrs Riva Ganguly Das virtually co-chaired the 23rd ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations)-India Senior Officials’ Meeting with Permanent Secretary of Thailand Mr Thani Thongphakdi.
- ASEAN officials welcomed India’s proposal to celebrate the year 2022 as ASEAN-India Friendship Year.
- The participants discussed steps to be taken for implementing the ASEAN-India Plan of Action (2021-25).
- It is India’s 4th Largest Trading Partner. India’s export to ASEAN stands at 11.28%.
- About Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
Chair of 2021 – Brunei Darussalam (Theme of its ASEAN Chairmanship is “We Care, We Prepare, We Prosper”).
Secretary-General – H.E. Dato Lim Jock Hoi (2018 -2022)
Headquarters – Jakarta, Indonesia
BANKING & FINANCE
6. Government infuses Rs 200 crore capital in IFCI
- In line with the Budget announcement, the government has infused Rs 200 crore capital in state-owned IFCI to improve its financial health.
- The infusion was done through the preferential issue of equity shares. The government had committed Rs 200 crore to IFCI in the Budget 2020-21.
7. ADB provides $1.5 billion to India to deal with Covid-19
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) said it has provided $ 1.5 billion to India to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The institution had announced a package of $ 20 billion in April 2020 to provide financial support to 26 countries to help fight the pandemic.
8.NPCI subsidiary partners with FSS to accelerate UPI’s global expansion plans
- Financial Software and Systems (FSS) has partnered with NPCI International Payments to expand the presence of digital payments platform Unified Payments Interface (UPI) in international markets.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
9. Google pledges Rs 135 crore in funding to help India fight Covid-19
- As the Covid-19 crisis intensifies in India, tech companies are coming forward to offer help. Google has now announced Rs 135 crore in new funding for India, including two grants from Google.org, the philanthropic arm of the tech giant. The total amount from these grants is Rs 20 crore.
- The first one will go to GiveIndia while the second fund is for UNICEF, both of which will help in procuring medical supplies and help families affected by the Covid-19 outbreak.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
10.Amazon acquires Perpule to aid kirana-tech
- Amazon Technologies Inc., part of Amazon.com Inc., has acquired retail tech startup Perpule in an all cash-deal of ₹107.6 crore to bolster its play in the kirana-tech space.
11.BRO Appoints First Woman Officer For Road Project Along Border With China
- In a first, the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has appointed a woman officer to command a Road Construction Company (RCC) tasked to provide connectivity in a high-altitude area along the India-China border, officials said.
- They said Vaishali S Hiwase from Wardha in Maharastra will discharge her duties in a challenging environment.
12.K Madhavan named president, Walt Disney Co India, Star India
- Media and entertainment conglomerate Walt Disney has named K. Madhavan as president, the Walt Disney Company India and Star India, with immediate effect.
- Madhavan takes over from Uday Shankar who had stepped down as president, the Walt Disney Company APAC and chairman, Star and Disney India, last October.
13.Axis Bank board approves re-appointment of Amitabh Chaudhry as MD & CEO
- Private sector lender Axis Bank said its board has approved the re-appointment of Amitabh Chaudhry as its Managing Director and CEO for three years with effect from January 1, 2022.
14.WhatsApp Pay appoints Amazon’s Manesh Mahatme as India head
- WhatsApp Pay has hired senior Amazon executive Manesh Mahatme to head its newly launched payment service in India.
- Manesh Mahatme, a seven-year Amazon Pay executive, was hired by WhatsApp at a time when digital messaging, shopping and payments is at a historic high in India and throughout much of the world.
15.Cricketer Ravindra Jadeja becomes ASICS brand ambassador
- Sportswear brand ASICS announced that it has appointed Ravindra Jadeja, the all-rounder of the Indian cricket team and Chennai Super Kings as its brand ambassador.
16.Jio Platforms, Byju’s in Time Magazine’s First-ever List of 100 Most Influential Firms
- Two Indian firms, Reliance Industries’ technology arm Jio Platforms and e-learning startup Byju’s have figured in the Time Magazine’s first-ever list of 100 most influential companies.
.17.Mary Kom wins Sportstar Aces Sportstar of the Decade
- M.C. Mary Kom, the only boxer – male or female – to win eight world championships medals, was named Sportstar of the Decadeat the 2021 Sportstar ACES Awards.
- Abhinav Bindra, the only Indian to win an individual Olympic gold medal, was conferred the Inspirational Giant of Indian Sport honour.
- Former World No. 1 K. Srikanth and reigning badminton World champion P.V. Sindhu bagged the Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Decade (Racquet Sports) titles.National badminton coach P. Gopi Chand, who bagged the Coach of the Decade Trophy.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
18. DRDO successfully conducts maiden trial of Python-5 Air to Air Missile
- India’s indigenous Light Combat Aircraft, Tejas, has added the 5th generation Python-5 Air-to-Air Missile (AAM) in its air-to-air weapons capability.
19.DRDO develops single crystal blades for helicopter engines
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation(DRDO) has developed a single crystal blade technology as part of their indigenous helicopter development program for the helicopter engine application.
20.Former Attorney General Soli Sorabjee passes away
- Former Attorney General of India and renowned jurist Soli Sorabjee died of Covid-19 at a private hospital in New Delhi. He was 91.
21.Senior Congress Leader Eknath Gaikwad passes away
- Former MP and veteran Congress leader Eknath Gaikwad passed away after losing a battle with Covid-19. He was 81.
- A two-time Lok Sabha MP, Gaikwad had represented the Mumbai South Central constituency. He had also served as a member of the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly, winning thrice from Dharavi.
22.Noted Hindi litterateur Manzoor Ahthesham passes away
- Noted Hindi litterateur and Padma Shri awardee Manzoor Ahthesham has died of Covid-19 in Bhopal in Madhya Pradesh. He was 73.
23.Australian swimming great John Konrads passes away
- John Konrads, who set 26 individual freestyle swimming world records and won an Olympic gold medal in 1960, has died. He was 78.
24.Ayushman Bharat Diwas: April 30
- Every year, the Ayushman Bharat Diwas is celebrated on April 30 in India. The Ayushman Bharat Diwas is celebrated to achieve twin missions.