About SBI Clerk
State Bank of India (SBI) conducts a common recruitment exam to fill vacancies for the ‘clerk’ post. Those who qualify the SBI Clerk Exam, get a job in various SBI branches across the nation and are hired as a Clerk in the prestigious State Bank of India.
The State Bank of India released a recruitment drive for the posts of Junior Associates for Customer Support & Sales. The total no. of vacancies announced were 8301 in 2018.
SBI Clerks (Junior Associates) are responsible for all the client interactions and related operations. Candidates who are recruited as SBI clerks are designated as cashiers, depositors and other posts that form the face of a particular SBI Bank branch. Only graduates can apply for the post of SBI Clerk 2018. Those who are planning to appear in the upcoming SBI Clerk 2019 exam can find complete details on the official website to update with the further details regarding the Clerk Examination conducted by SBI.
SBI Clerk Job Profile Description
- The main responsibility as Associate is to deal with customers and their inquiries. Talking to customers, resolving their doubts and giving them the right guidance will be primary responsibility.
- It will need to handle all activities at the deposit counters and related to cash withdrawal. Sometimes, have to work as cashiers or single window operators. Also, need to be comfortable while dealing with financial instruments like cheques, demand drafts, etc.
- Associates will be responsible for the accounts of the customer by verifying and signing pertinent documents, countersigning and clearing cheques and drafts.
- SBI Clerk Associate Job Profile includes working on documentation and back-office work like ledger maintenance, balance tallying, data entry and more.
- The SBI Junior Associate Job Profile also entails marketing financial products of the bank such as loans, schemes, deposits, funds, to potential customers etc.
- It will also need to scrutinize applications and plans to ensure completeness, authenticity and viability. That is, you need to ensure that the applications are correct and true.
- Making customer calls for selling banking services, advisory services, and cross-selling products of the bank inside and outside the bank premises. This may require extensive outdoor traveling. This will be the “Sales” aspect of your Junior Associate Job Profile.
SBI Clerk Promotion and Career Growth
Promotions for SBI Clerk can be of following types:
- Senior Assistant
- Special Assistant
- Senior Special Assistant
- Middle Management Grade Scale-II
- Junior Manager Grade Scale
SBI Clerk Exam Pattern
SBI selection process for the Clerks for Junior Associates exam consists of 2 stages, which are:
- Prelims Exam
- Mains Exam
Phase I – Prelims Exam
The preliminary exam consists of an objective test conducted online. Adequate number of candidates in each category as decided by the Bank will be short listed for the Mains Exam from the list of all candidates arranged in descending order of aggregate marks scored. There is no minimum qualifying marks for individual subject as well as for aggregate (overall) score. This test is multi-lingual (available in both English and Hindi) except for the English section. There is negative marking for wrong answers (1/4th mark is deducted.)
|Sr. No.||Name of Tests
|No. of Questions||Maximum Marks||Total Time|
|1||English Language||30||30||20 Minutes|
|2||Numerical Ability||35||35||20 Minutes|
|3||Reasoning Ability||35||35||20 Minutes|
Phase II – Mains Exam
The main exam consists of an objective test conducted online. This test is bilingual (available in both English and Hindi) except for the English section. There is negative marking for wrong answers (1/4th mark will be deducted). There is no sectional Cut Off for the SBI Clerk Mains.
|Sr. No.||Name of Tests
|No. of Questions||Maximum Marks||Total Time|
|1||English Language||40||40||35 Minutes|
|2||Quantitative Aptitude||50||50||45 Minutes|
|3||Reasoning Ability& Computer Aptitude||50||60||45 Minutes|
|4.||General/Financial Awareness||50||50||35 Minutes|
|Total||190||200||2 Hours 40 Minutes|
Penalty for Wrong Answers:
A penalty for every incorrect answer will be marked in the Objective Tests of both Preliminary and Mains exams. Every wrong answer will be penalized by deducting 0.25 of the marks assigned to that question. There will be no penalty for leaving a question blank, i.e. in case no answer is marked by the candidate.
Final Score Calculation for SBI Clerk Exam :
There are certain important points on the basis of which the final score for the SBI Clerk exam is calculated
• Marks scored in the Preliminary Exam (Tier-1) will not be considered in the final score. These are only taken into account to qualify Mains Exam (Tier-2).
• Candidates need to qualify Phase-2
•The aggregate of 100 marks is used for the final merit list for each category. Candidates with high merit rank in each category are finally selected.
SBI Clerk Syllabus 2018
SBI Clerk syllabus is much similar to that of any other bank exam. There are three major sections that a candidate needs to prepare to ace the preliminary exam. These are Reasoning, Quantitative Aptitude and English Language. The sections have a wide range of topics on which questions are based. It is recommended that candidates must have a look at the previous year papers and know about the weightage of each topic.
SBI Clerk Preliminary Exam syllabus:
The preliminary examination of SBI Clerk exam 2018 will comprise of Reasoning Ability, Quantitative Aptitude and English Language. Here is the detailed syllabus:
|Reasoning||Quantitative Ability||English Language|
|Logical Reasoning||Simplification||Reading Comprehension|
|Alphanumeric Series||Profit & Loss||Cloze Test|
|Ranking/Direction/Alphabet Test||Mixtures &Alligations||Para jumbles|
|Data Sufficiency||Simple Interest & Compound Interest & Surds & Indices||Miscellaneous|
|Coded Inequalities||Work & Time||Fill in the blanks|
|Seating Arrangement||Time & Distance||Multiple Meaning /Error Spotting|
|Puzzle||Mensuration – Cylinder, Cone, Sphere||Paragraph Completion|
|Syllogism||Ratio & Proportion, Percentage|
|Blood Relations||Number Systems|
|Input Output||Sequence & Series|
|Coding Decoding||Permutation, Combination &Probability|
SBI Clerk Mains syllabus:
The Mains Examination of SBI Clerk exam will constitute of 4 sections: Reasoning & Computer Awareness, General English, General/Financial Awareness, Quantitative Aptitude. The complete syllabus is discussed below:
|Quantitative Aptitude||General English||General/Financial Awareness||Reasoning Ability||Computer Awareness|
|Simplification||Reading comprehension including Synonyms and Antonyms||Current Affairs – news on banking industry, awards and honors, books and authors,latest appointments, obituaries, new schemes of central and state governments, sports, etc.||Internet||Basics of Computer: Hardware, Software, Generation of Computers|
|Number Series||Sentence rearrangement or Para jumbles||Static GK – country-capital, country-currency, headquarters of financial organizations (of insurance companies), constituencies of ministers, dance forms, nuclear and thermal power stations, etc.||Machine Input/Output||DBMS|
|Data Sufficiency||Sentence Correction/ Error Finding||Banking/Financial terms||Syllogism||Networking|
|Data Interpretation||Spell Checks||Static Awareness||Blood Relation||Internet|
|Quadratic Equation||Fillers||Banking and Financial Awareness||Direction Sense||MS Office|
|Time & Distance, Work||Cloze Test||Inequalities||Input-Output Devices|
|Profit & Loss||Coding-Decoding|
|Simple and Compound Interest||Ranking|
|Mixture and Allegations||Statement and Assumptions|
|Ratio & Proportion, Averages, Percentages|
To know the details about SBI Clerk exam please visit official website of SBI