1. Chandigarh drafts cycling policy, maps out cycling network, incentives
- Chandigarh state government has released a first-of-its-kind draft cycling policy that views cycling as a major alternate mode of transport for short distances.
- It is for the first time that a city has drafted a cycling policy in India. The policy has been drafted by Chandigarh Smart City Limited.
2. Saudi Arabia to join ‘Net Zero Producers Forum’ on climate change
- Saudi Arabia will join the United States, Canada, Norway, and Qatar informing the ‘Net Zero Producers Forum’ for oil and gas producers to discuss how they can support the implementation of the Paris Agreement on climate change.
- Saudi Arabia, the world’s biggest crude exporter, will be part of the new platform, which will discuss ways to achieve net-zero carbon emission targets to limit global warming.
BANKING & FINANCE
3. Paytm launches ‘Wealth Community’ for young investors
- Home-grown digital financial services platform Paytm has launched a new video-based wealth community called the Paytm Wealth Community.
4. BOB Financial and Mastercard to launch world’s first QR on Card programme to simplify digital payments
- Mastercard and BOB Financial Solutions Limited (BFSL) have come together to offer an easy, frictionless payment solution for cardholders with the launch of ConQR – a Mastercard QR on Card solution.
5. Indian Bank in pact with Chennai Angels for start-up financing
- Indian Bank has signed an agreement with The Chennai Angles for financing start-ups under its loan programme, ‘IND Spring Board.
- Under this product, the bank will support start-ups by extending credit facilities of up to ₹50 crores for working capital requirements and also fund term loan requirements for acquiring fixed assets for their unit.
6. RBI cancels licence of Maharashtra-based Bhagyodaya Friends Urban Co-operative Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) said it has canceled the license of Maharashtra-based Bhagyodaya Friends Urban Co-operative Bank Limited due to inadequate capital.
- The Commissioner for Cooperation and Registrar of Cooperative Societies, Maharashtra has also been requested to issue an order for winding up the bank and appoint a liquidator for the bank.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
7. India-Singapore tie-up looking to promote tech startups
- The Singapore Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SICCI) and Start-up Incubation and Innovation Centre (SIIC) of IIT-Kanpur have come together to provide a gateway of opportunities to tech-based start-ups to usher a circular economy and an entrepreneurial ecosystem.
8. IIT Kharagpur Signs MoU with the Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs to set up an Accelerator Centre
- IIT Kharagpur and the Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA) have signed an MoU to set up an Accelerator Centre for Research & Development at the Institute.
- This MoU will provide the opportunity for innovation & incubation assistance to carry out activities like technology and product development.
9. Archery Couple Deepika Kumari and Atanu Das Shoots Triple Gold as India Finish with Four Medals
- Newly-wed archery couple Deepika Kumari and Atanu Das led the show with two individual gold medals as India capped their best ever show in a World Cup, claiming three golds and one bronze in the tournament’s first stage.
- Also, this was India’s best-ever individual recurve men’s result since Jayanta Talukdar triumphed in Croatia way back in 2009.
10. Deepika Kumari-led Women’s Recurve Team Wins Gold at World Cup Archery Stage 1
Indian women’s recurve team held its nerve to pip Mexico 5-4 (27-26) in an intriguing final to grab a gold medal in the Archery World Cup Stage 1.
- Locked 4-4 in the shoot-off, the Indian team comprising seasoned Deepika Kumari, Ankita Bhakat, and Komalika Bari shot 27 to edge out their Mexican rivals by one point and claim their first World Cup team gold after seven years.
- In another match, the Indian mixed recurve team of Atanu Das and Ankita Bhakat won the bronze medal after a 6-2 victory over the USA.
11. Haryana and Delhi to host Khelo India Youth Games from November 21st To December 5th, 2021
- The fourth edition of ‘Khelo India Youth Games-2021’ will be held in Panchkula, Ambala, Shahabad, Delhi, and Chandigarh from November 21 to December 5, in which various sports activities under-18 category would be organized.
- Besides this, some BRICS Games 2021 would also be organized during Khelo India.
12. 93rd Academy Awards
- The Academy has paid tribute to Indian actor Irrfan Khan and Indian Oscar-winning costume designer Bhanu Athaiya. The two featured in the Academy’s In Memorium segment during the Oscar awards ceremony.
- The Academy Awards 2021 were dominated by Nomadland. Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Actress – all three major awards were won by the film.
THE FULL LIST OF WINNERS
- BEST PICTURE-Nomadland
- BEST DIRECTOR-Chloe Zhao, Nomadland
- BEST ACTOR-Anthony Hopkins, The Father
- BEST ACTRESS-Frances McDormand, Nomadland
- SUPPORTING ACTORDaniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah
- SUPPORTING ACTRESS-Yuh-jung Youn, Minari
- ADAPTED SCREENPLAY-The Father
- BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY-Emerald Fennell, Promising Young Woman
- ANIMATED FEATURE FILM-Soul
- BEST INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM-Another Round, Denmark
- BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE-My Octopus Teacher
- BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY-Mank
- BEST COSTUME DESIGN-Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
- FILM EDITING-Sound of Metal
- MAKE-UP AND HAIRSTYLING-Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
- ORIGINAL SCORE-Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, and Jon Batiste, Soul
- ORIGINAL SONG-Fight For You, Judas And The Black Messiah
- PRODUCTION DESIGN-Mank
- BEST SOUND-Sound of Metal
- VISUAL EFFECTS-Tenet
- DOCUMENTARY (SHORT SUBJECT)-Colette
- BEST SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION) – Two Distant Strangers.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY NEWS
13. ISRO to Launch Data Relay Satellite to Track Gaganyaan
- The Indian Space Research Organisation will launch a data relay satellite that will help maintain contact with the Gagangyaan mission throughout the launch.
- The satellite will be launched before the final leg of the Gaganyaan mission, which will send astronauts to the Lower Earth Orbit (LEO). The first leg — the unmanned mission — is to be launched in December.
14. Classical Vocalist Pt Rajan Mishra passes away
- Classical singer Rajan Mishra, a Padma Bhushan awardee, died of complications caused by COVID-19 at a hospital. He was 70.
- Belonging to the Benaras gharana, Mr. Mishra, along with brother Sajan Mishra, made a mark for himself as a vocalist in the khyal style of Indian classical singing.
15. Nuclear scientist Krishnamurthy Santhanam passes away
- Indian nuclear scientist Krishnamurthy Santhanam, who played a noteworthy role in the 1998 nuclear tests at Pokhran, has passed away.
- Santhanam was the field director of the Defence Research and Development Organization during the tests of Pokhran-II. He was deeply associated with Defence Research and Development Organization(DRDO), Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), and Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA).
- He was awarded the Padma Bhushan, the third-highest civilian award, in 1999 by the Government of India.
16. World Intellectual Property Day: 26th April
- World Intellectual Property Day is observed annually on 26 April. It aims to increase people’s awareness and understanding of intellectual property (IP).
- World Intellectual Property Day 2021 theme is “IP and SMEs: Taking your ideas to market.”
17. International Delegate’s Day: 25th April
- International Delegate’s Day observed globally on 25 April every year. This day also marks the anniversary of the first day of the San Francisco Conference which is also known as the United Nations Conference on International Organization.
- This day is observed to raise awareness of the role of the representatives and delegates of the Member States to the United Nations.