1. Aditya-L1 Support Cell provides all data onboard India’s first dedicated solar space mission
A community service center has been set up to bring all data onboard India’s first dedicated solar space mission to a single web-based interface. The service center is called Aditya-L1 Support Cell.
It is a joint effort of the Indian Space Research Organisation and Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences.
2. Maharashtra to appoint oxygen nurses to curb wastage of oxygen at hospitals
- Maharashtra Health Minister Dr. Rajesh Tope has said that the state needs to appoint oxygen Nurses to curb wastage of oxygen and to maintain data of oxygen storage at hospitals.
- He gave the example of the Nandurbar district which adopted the good practice of appointing oxygen nurses in the year 2020.
3. Cabinet approves signing and ratification of Agreement between India, UK on Customs Cooperation and Mutual Administrative Assistance in Customs Matters
The Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has approved the signing and ratification of an Agreement between India and the United Kingdom on Customs Cooperation and Mutual Administrative Assistance in Customs Matters.
4. Karnal District Administration starts ‘Oxygen on Wheels’ initiative to ensure incessant supply of Medical Oxygen to hospitals
Karnal District Administration in Haryana has started a unique ‘Oxygen on Wheels’ initiative to ensure incessant supply of Medical Oxygen to both Government & Private Hospitals.
5. India ranks 49th in Chandler Good Government Index (CGGI) 2021
India has been ranked 49th in the Chandler Good Government Index (CGGI), which classifies 104 countries in terms of government capabilities and outcomes.
Finland has topped the CGGI list, in which each country is measured across over 50 open data points and Venezuela is the last ranked country at 104. The second place was secured by Switzerland, Singapore, Netherlands, and Demark.
6. India third-largest military spender after the US and China
India was the third-largest military spender in the world in 2020, behind only the US and China.
According to the latest military expenditure database published by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, which tracks military expenditure and arms trade globally, the US accounted for 39 percent of the money spent on military globally, China accounted for 13 percent, and India accounted for 3.7 percent of the globe’s share.
BANKING & FINANCE
7. Govt leaves GPF, other non-government PF interest rate unchanged at 7.1%
- The government has left GPF and other non-government PF interest rates unchanged at 7.1 percent.
- Department of Economic Affairs said that GPF and other Special Deposit Scheme interest rate of 7.1 percent will be applicable for April to June quarter of the current financial year
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
8. IHS Markit predicts India’s FY22 GDP growth at 9.6%
- London-based financial services company IHS Markit has projected the GDP growth rate of the Indian economy to grow at 9.6 percent in FY22 (2021-22).
9. Justice Vimla Singh Kapoor appointed as Chhattisgarh High Court judge
- The President has appointed Justice Vimla Singh Kapoor, Additional Judge of the Chhattisgarh High Court, to be a Judge of the Chhattisgarh High Court.
10. Secretary, DoE in Finance Ministry T V Somanathan designated as new Finance Secretary
- IAS Officer T V Somanathan who is serving as Secretary, Department of Expenditure in the Finance Ministry has been designated as the Finance Secretary.
11. PESB appoints Amit Banerjee for the post of CMD of BEML
- Amit Banerjee has been appointed as the new Chairman & Managing Director (CMD) of BEML Limited, a Miniratna Defence PSU under the Ministry of Defence.
- He succeeds former BEML CMD DK Hota, who superannuated on January 31, 2021.
- Following his superannuation, MV Rajasekhar, the Director (Mining & Construction) at BEML Limited has been holding the additional charge of the CMD’s post.
12. Dr Vajrala won Mana Telugu Tejam Award
- As part of former Prime Minister PV Narasimha Rao’s centenary celebrations, Mana Telugu Tejam National Awards were presented to people from various fields at the Birla Auditorium in Hyderabad.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
13. China launches robot prototype capable of catching space debris with net
- A Chinese space mining start-up launched into low Earth orbit a robot prototype that can scoop up debris left behind by other spacecraft with a big net.
- The NEO-01, which will also peer into deep space to observe small celestial bodies, was launched on the government’s Long March 6 rocket along with a handful of satellites, a state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
14. Odia and English author Manoj Das passes away
- Manoj Das, a prolific Indian author who wrote in Odia and English language passed away at the age of 87 due to age-related ailments.
15. IIS Sanjay Kumar Srivastava passes away
- A senior officer of the Indian Information Service Sanjay Kumar Srivastava passed away following a COVID-19 infection. He was 56.
16. 100 yr old freedom fighter Ashatai Pathre passes away
- Ashatai Pathre, a freedom fighter from the Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra passed away. She was one hundred years old.
17. Noted Gujarati poet and folk singer Dadudan Gadhvi passes away
- Veteran Gujarati poet and folk singer Dadudan Pratapdan Gadhvi has passed away. He was 80 years old. Gadhvi was also known as Kavi Dad.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
18. Jhumpa Lahiri comes up with a new book ‘Whereabouts’
- Renowned American author Jhumpa Lahiri has launched her new novel titled “Whereabouts”.
- The book is an English translation of the Italian novel ‘Ias Dove Mi Trovo’ which was written by the author Jhumpa Lahiri itself and published in 2018.
19. International Dance Day
- April 29 is celebrated as International Dance Day to raise awareness about the benefits of dance.
- Theme 2021: ‘Purpose of dance’.
20. World Day for Safety and Health at Work
- World Day for Safety and Health at Work is observed on April 28 annually. The day has been observed worldwide since 2003.
- The theme of this year’s World Day for Safety and Health at Work is ‘Anticipate, prepare and respond to crises and invest now in resilient OHS systems’.