General Knowledge: SET-03
1. Which of the following cricketer started his Test career at the age of 16 in Karachi?
A. Rahul Dravid
B. Shantakumaran Sreesanth
C. Hardik Pandya
D. Sachin Tendulkar
2. How many sites were chosen from India for the 2019 UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation?
3. According to Guinness World Records, which of the following was the richest temple in the world in 2011?
A. Jagannath Temple
B. Tirumala Tirupati Venkateswara Temple
C. Siddhivinayak Temple
D. Sri Padmanabhaswamy Temple
4. Kamasutra was originally compiled by which Indian sage living in North India in the 3rd century?
A. Ved Vyas
5. According to the Container Ports Report, _____ is the only port in India that has been ranked among the top 30 ports in the world.
A. Port Blair
B. Tuticorin Port
C. Panambur Port
D. Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust
6. ______ was affectionately called ‘Ba’.
A. Indira Gandhi
B. Kasturba Gandhi
C. Vijaylaxmi Pandit
D. Sarojini Naidu
7. Who is the founder of the biotech Indian company called ‘Biocon’?
A. Indu Jain
B. Kiran Majumdar Shaw
C. Ratan Tata
D. Mukesh Ambani
8. ________is a textile art from Gujart/Rajasthan.
9. The 11th President of India, __________, was also known as the ‘Missile Man’.
A. APJ Abdul Kalam
B. Zakir Hussein
C. Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed
D. KR Narayanan
10. Which temple of Kerala has its own elephant sanctuary?
A. Sabarimala Sree Ayyappa Temple
B. Guruvayoor Temple
C. Sri Padmanabhaswamy Temple
D. Chottanikkara Devi Temple
11. Under whose chairmanship the National Green Tribunal (NGT) has formed an eight-member National Task Force (NTF) to monitor the remedial steps to improve the status of air quality?
A. Rajat Kumar Sud
B. Rajesh Verma
C. Rajiv Gauba
D. Rameshwar Prasad Gupta
12. “Believe — What Life and Cricket Taught Me” is memoir of which Indian cricketer?
A. Mahendra Singh Dhoni
B. Suresh Raina
C. Zaheer Khan
D. Virendra Sehwag
13. Who has been appointed as the Brand Ambassador of Consumer electronic company, ‘Elista’?
A. Mahendra Singh Dhoni
B. Virendra Segwag
C. Suresh Raina
D. Dinesh Karthik
14. Which player has won the greatest number of IPL orange caps, which are awarded to the season’s highest run-scorer?
A. Sachin Tendulkar
B. David Warner
C. Chris Gayle
D. Rohit Sharma
15. Which pacer has bowled the highest number of dot balls in the Indian Premier League (IPL)?
A. Lasith Malinga
B. Ravichandran Ashwin
C. Bhuvneshwar Kumar
D. Harbhajan Singh
16. Who has bowled the most number of maiden overs in the Indian Premier League (IPL)?
A. Lasith Malinga
B. Irfan Pathan
C. Jasprit Bumrah
D. Praveen Kumar
17. Which entity has launched ‘Poshan Gyan’, a national digital repository on health and nutrition in partnership with Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Centre for Social and Behaviour Change, Ashoka University?
A. Food Corporation of India
D. NITI Aayog
18. Renowned sportsperson Balbir Singh Junior passed away recently, he was associated with which sport?
19. Renowned sportsman and coach Sanjay Chakravarty passed away recently, he was associated with which sport?
20. Which two Asian countries has launched the construction of an international center for trade and economic cooperation named ‘Central Asia’?
A. China and Mongolia
B. Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan
C. Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan
D. Afghanistan and Iran
1. Answer : D
• Sachin Tendulkar started his Test career at the age of 16 in Karachi.
• He made his Test debut against Pakistan in Karachi in November 1989.
• He made 15 runs in this match.
• He is the highest run scorer of all time in International cricket.
• He is the only player to have scored one hundred international centuries.
2. Answer : B
● Four sites were chosen from India for the 2019 UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation.
● The awards were announced in Penang, Malaysia on 14 October 2019.
3. Answer : D
• The Padmanabhaswamy temple is a Hindu temple located in Kerala’s state capital Thiruvananthapuram, India.
• The Padmanabhaswamy (Vishnu) is the principal deity of this temple.
• The principal deity Padmanabhaswamy (Vishnu) is enshrined in the “Anantha Shayana” posture, the eternal yogic sleep on the serpent Adi Shesha.
• According to Guinness World Records, It was the richest temple in the world in 2011.
• Padmanabhaswamy Temple is the wealthiest temple is India having a worth of more than 1.2 lakh crore or 1.2 trillion (US$21 billion).
• Tirupati Balaji is one of the richest temples in India that is located in Chitoor district, Andhra Pradesh and dedicated to Lord Venkateswarwa, a form of Lord Vishnu.
4. Answer : B
• The Kama Sutra is the world’s oldest book on the pleasures of sensual living.
• It was originally compiled in the 3rd century by the Indian sage Vatsyayana, who lived in northern India.
• Vatsyayana is the name of an ancient Indian philosopher.
5. Answer : D
• According to the Container Ports Report, Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust is the only port in India that has been ranked among the top 30 ports in the world.
• Jawaharlal Nehru Port is also known as Nhava Sheva.
• It is the largest container port in India.
• It is located in Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra.
• The port was established on 26 May 1989.
6. Answer : B
* Kasturba Gandhi was affectionately called as ‘Ba’.
* She was the wife of Mahatma Gandhi and born in the same year as Gandhiji born i.e 1869. She was married to Gandhiji in 1883 at the age of 14.
* Kasturba’s relationship with Gandhiji is described well in Ramachandra Guha’s novel ‘Gandhi Before India’.
* Kasturba was referred to as “Ba” or Mother because she served as mother of the ashrams in India. She died at the Aga Khan Palace in Poona, aged 74.
7. Answer : B
* Kiran Majumdar Shaw is the founder of the biotech Indian company called ‘Biocon’.
* Biocon Limited is India’s largest biopharmaceutical company founded in 1978 and has its headquarters in Banglore, Karnataka.
* In 1979, It became the first Indian company to manufacture and export enzymes to Europe and the USA.
* Ms. Kiran Mazumdar Shaw is the Chairman and Managing Director of Biocon and Mr. John Shaw is Vice Chairman, foreign Promoter & Whole-time Director.
* The Company manufactures generic active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) that are sold in over 120 countries across the globe.
8. Answer : C
* Bandhani textile art is associated with Gujrat and Rajasthan areas.
* It is also known as Bandhej. It is a tie and dye textiles. The art of Bandhani involves dyeing the fabric which is tightly tied with a thread at several places to produce different patterns.
* This art is very ancient art even the Ajanta caves have a visual representation of Bandhej. It is generally performed in silk and cotton fabrics.
* Chanderi art belongs to Madhya Pradesh, Ikat art belongs to Gujarat, Orissa, Andra Pradesh, etc. and paithani art is famous from Aurangabad, Maharashtra.
9. Answer : A
* Dr APJ Abdul Kalam became the 11th president of India and he was also known as ‘Missile Man of India’ due to his extraordinary contribution toward missile program development in India.
* APJ Abdul Kalam served as President of India from 2002-2007. He served in DRDO and ISRO and work profoundly in civilian space programme and military missile development efforts. He also worked hard in the development of ballistic missile and launch vehicle technology.
* He died on 27th July 2015 after a cardiac attack while delivering a lecture at the Indian Institute of Management, Shillong.
* The Dr A.P.J. Abdul Kalam National Memorial was built in his memory by the DRDO in Pei Karumbu, near Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu. It was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in July 2017.
10. Answer : B
* The Guruvayoor Temple in Kerala has its own elephant sanctuary.
* Guruvayur Sri Krishna Temple is a Hindu temple dedicated to the Hindu god Guruvayurappan (a four-armed affiliation of the Hindus god Vishnu).
* It is located in the town of Guruvayur in Kerala.
* The name of the elephant sanctuary is “Punnathur Kotta (Punnathur Fort)”.
* It was formerly a Palace estate owned by the Punnathur Raja’s of Kerala.
* It was purchased in 1975 by the Guruvayur temple committee and used for housing its elephants.
11. Answer : D
• The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has formed an eight-member National Task Force (NTF) to monitor the remedial steps to improve the status of air quality.
• NTF will be headed by and coordinated by the Secretary Ministry of Environment and Forests, Rameshwar Prasad Gupta.
• India has the World’s highest death rate from chronic respiratory diseases and 1.5 million people in India are dying annually due to air pollution.
• It will monitor the enforcement of air quality standards in all the Non-Attainment Cities along with other air polluted areas through quarterly meetings with the Chief Secretaries of concerned States/UTs.
• It will work with the committees which were constituted already under The National Clean Air Programme (NCAP) at both national and state levels.
12. Answer : B
• Suresh Raina penned his Memoir “Believe — What Life and Cricket Taught Me” Co-authored by Bharat Sundaresan to be released by May, 2021.The book will be published by Penguin Random House.
• The Book is all about the Suresh Raina, it describes about his life, challenges he faced as a young cricketer.
• He hails from Uttar Pradesh.
• He is the first Indian batsman to hit a century in all three formats (Test, ODI, T20I) of international cricket.
13. Answer : C
• Consumer electronic company, ‘Elista’ appointed former Indian Cricketer Suresh Raina as its Brand Ambassador. Elista is a subsidiary of ‘TeknoDome’ , a UAE based trading company, which started its manufacturing in 2020.
• Elista manufactures innovative products in consumer electronics ranging from LED TVs to Coolers, under the concept of ‘Making in India for the world’.
14. Answer : B
David Warner has won the orange cap thrice (2015, 2017, 2019).
15. Answer : D
The Indian spinner Harbhajan Singh tops this list with most dot balls in the Indian Premier League. Harbhajan has bowled 1249 dot balls in the tournament so far. He has played 160 matches in IPL and bowled 562.2 overs. In 157 innings, the right-arm spinner Harbhajanhas taken 150 wickets.
16. Answer : D
The former Indian cricketer Praveen Kumar has bowled 14 maiden overs in the Indian Premier League.
The right-arm pacer Praveen Kumar played 119 matches in IPL and grabbed 90 wickets.
17. Answer : D
• NITI Aayog, in partnership with Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Centre for Social and Behaviour Change, Ashoka University launched Poshan Gyan, a national digital repository on health and nutrition.
• The launch event was addressed by NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Dr Rajiv Kumar, CEO Amitabh Kant, Women and Child Development Secretary Ram Mohan Mishra and Additional Secretary Dr Rakesh Sarwal.
18. Answer : B
• Balbir Singh Junior, who was a member of the silver medal- winning 1958 Asian Games Indian hockey team.
• Born on May 2, 1932, at Sansarpur in Jalandhar, also known as the nursery of Indian hockey, Balbir Singh Junior had played alongside legends like Balbir Singh Senior, Leslie Claudius, Prithipal Singh, Balkishan and Charles Stephen among others.
• He was part of the Punjab state hockey team and also captained Panjab University team.
• Later, he also played for the Indian Railways team that toured European countries such as Spain, Switzerland and Italy.
• The team also played Test matches in the Netherlands.
19. Answer : D
• Legendary shooting coach Sanjay Chakravarty passed away due to Covid-19. The Dronacharya awardee had trained some of the finest Indian shooters including Abhinav Bindra, Gagan Narang, Anjali Bhagwat and Suma Shirur, Deepali Deshpande, Anuja Jung and Ayonika Paul.
20. Answer : B
• Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan have launched the construction of an international center for trade and economic cooperation named ‘Central Asia’ on the borders of the two countries, the Uzbek Government.
• Uzbek Prime Minister Abdulla Aripov and his Kazkazh counterpart Askar Mamim, laid a capsule at the construction site of the logistic centre, which is located in the vicinity of the border check post Gisht Kuprik.
• According to a News release on Kazakh Prime Minister’s official website, the center, which occupies 400 hectares of land, will have a capacity of accommodating 35,000 people and 5,000 trucks per day in both directions.