Important Daily Current Affairs of 17th June 2021
In this article, we will discuss all the important current affairs of 17th June 2021 in detail.
1. IIT Bombay will host the BRICS Network Universities Conference in 2021.
- A three-day virtual conference of BRICS Network Universities on electric mobility was held at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay. The seminar is one of the education-related events that India is organising at the 13th BRICS Summit this year.
- India’s lead institution for the BRICS Network University is IIT-Bombay.
2. The Deep Ocean Mission of the Ministry of Earth Sciences has been approved by the Cabinet.
- The Union Cabinet has approved a ‘Deep Ocean Mission’ to investigate biodiversity, climate change, and the establishment of an offshore marine station to investigate thermal energy sources.
- The Mission is expected to cost Rs4,077 crore over the next five years and will be implemented in stages. The first phase’s cost is anticipated to be Rs2,823.4 crore over three years (2021-2024).
3. The Global Yoga Conference 2021 will be addressed by Dr. Harsh Vardhan.
- In the presence of Shri Shripad Yesso Nayak, Minister of State for Defence, Dr Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, addressed the inauguration ceremony of the Global Yoga Conference 2021.
- The event was organised by the ‘Mokshayatan Yog Sansthan’ in collaboration with the Ministry of AYUSH, Government of India, and the Indian Council for Cultural Relations to commemorate the 7th International Day of Yoga, which will take place on June 21, 2021.
4. The aviation and shipping ministries have signed a memorandum of understanding for the expansion of seaplane services.
- The Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways (MoPSW) and the Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) have signed an MoU to enhance seaplane services in the country.
- According to the MoU, a coordination group including of officials from the civil aviation ministry, the Ministry of Public Safety and Welfare, and the Ministry of Tourism will be formed to ensure the timely implementation of seaplane services across the country.
5. Arjun Munda announces the ‘Sankalp Se Siddhi- Mission Van Dhan’ initiative for tribal livelihoods.
- Sankalp Se Siddhi – Mission Van Dhan was established by Union Minister for Tribal Affairs Arjun Munda to promote local products made by tribal craftsmen in order to ensure the tribal population’s long-term survival across the country.
- The Union Minister inaugurated TRIFED’s new office premises at the NSIC Complex in Okhla Industrial Area, which spans 30,000 square feet and features cutting-edge technology.
6. PM Modi Virtually Addresses VivaTech 5th Edition In the city of Paris,
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi delivered the keynote address through video conferencing at the fifth edition of ‘VivaTech.’ PM Modi asked the world to invest in India on the basis of five pillars: talent, market, capital, ecosystem, and openness culture.
- This event, which has been held in Paris every year since 2016, is one of Europe’s largest digital and entrepreneurial events. Publicis Groupe, a prominent advertising and marketing company, and Les Echos, a leading French media organisation, are co-organizing the event.
7. India’s research investment is insufficient, according to a UNESCO report.
- While India has made ‘significant progress’ toward the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the areas of industry, infrastructure, and innovation, the country’s research funding remains inadequate, according to the UNESCO Science Report.
- According to the chapter on India authored by Sunil Mani, director, Centre for Development Studies (CDS), Thiruvananthapuram, “the gross domestic expenditure on research (GERD) has been static at 0.7 percent of GDP for years, even if research expenditure has increased in absolute terms.”
8. Piyush Goyal, Union Minister for Railways, Commerce and Industry, will attend the United Nations World Trade Forum in 2021.
- Union Minister Piyush Goyal spoke at the United Nations Trade Forum 2021, highlighting India’s renewed commitment to achieving climate targets in the post-COVID-19 era.
- Goyal claimed at the meeting that India’s per capita CO2 emissions are the lowest among the world’s major economies, and that the country’s ambitious target of 450 Gigawatts by 2030 represents a commitment to the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and Sustainable Development Goals.
9. Leaders of NATO have declared China to be a global security threat.
- China, according to NATO leaders, is a perpetual security threat and is seeking to destabilise global order.
- This statement is in line with US Vice President Joe Biden’s efforts to unite allies in opposition to China’s trade, military, and human rights activities.
10. According to a SIPRI analysis, India, China, and Pakistan look to be increasing their nuclear arsenals.
- According to a research by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), China, Pakistan, and India each have 350, 165, and 156 nuclear warheads as of January this year, and all three countries appear to be building their nuclear arsenals.
- According to the report, Russia and the United States own over 90% of the estimated 13,080 nuclear weapons in the world.
Banking & Finance News
11. Shagun introduces the LIC RuPay Prepaid Gift Card.
- LIC Cards Services Limited (LIC-CSL) and IDBI Bank have collaborated to launch the ‘Shagun’ contactless prepaid gift card on the RuPay platform.
- The Shagun card will be available for official usage only to LIC and its subsidiaries and allies, and will be utilised to facilitate prizes and special rewards at official conferences and activities.
12. Eswatini receives a $108.28 million soft credit from India.
- Exim Bank said that the government has provided Eswatini (Swaziland) with a soft credit of USD 108.28 million for the construction of their new Parliament building.
- With the signature of this line of credit agreement, Exim Bank now has 272 lines of credit (LoC) in place for financing exports from India, encompassing 62 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the CIS, with credit commitments totaling USD 26.84 billion.
13.‘ICICI STACK for Corporates’ is a new product from ICICI Bank.
- ICICI Bank has launched ‘ICICI STACK for Corporates,’ a comprehensive set of digital banking products for corporations and their whole ecosystem, which includes promoters, group companies, workers, dealers, vendors, and all other stakeholders.
- ICICI Bank intends to be the chosen banking partner for businesses and their entire ecosystem with this launch.
14. Infosys is hired by Federal Bank to implement Oracle CX.
- Federal Bank has teamed with Infosys to implement Oracle CX, a cloud-based application for managing customer relationships, in order to boost marketing, sales, and customer experience.
- Federal Bank hopes that by integrating this solution, they will be able to create a more effective way of recalling customer information, increase productivity, and improve customer happiness all in one spot.
Business & Economy News
15. ‘Report It, Don’t Share It!’ is a new Facebook feature. Initiative
- Facebook has launched a new effort aimed at keeping youngsters safe online. Because more and more children are utilising the internet for both online lessons and leisure, the first and most critical step is to protect them.
- The ‘Report it, don’t spread it’ campaign is being led by Facebook in partnership with the Aarambh India Initiative, the Cyber Peace Foundation, and Arpan.
16. Satya Nadella is the next CEO of Microsoft. Chairmanship
- Satya Nadella, Microsoft’s Chief Executive Officer, has been named the company’s new Chairman, succeeding John Thompson.
- Nadella, who succeeded Steve Ballmer as CEO in 2014, has been key in the company’s growth, including billion-dollar acquisitions such as LinkedIn, Nuance Communications, and ZeniMax.
17. Anand Mohan Bajaj, a Finance Ministry officer, has been appointed to the SEBI Board.
- Anand Mohan Bajaj, Additional Secretary in the Department of Economic Affairs (DEA), has been appointed to the Board of the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), which regulates capital markets and commodities derivatives.
- He takes the place of Tarun Bajaj, who is now the Revenue Secretary, on the SEBI Board.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
18. The World’s First Wooden Satellite Aims to Reach Space by 2021 Arctic Astronautics, a Finnish business, plans to launch the world’s first wooden satellite into space by the end of this year.
- The WISA Woodsat satellite is a cube-shaped nanosatellite built of birch plywood with European Space Agency-developed sensors. The satellite will be launched from New Zealand on a Rocket Lab Electron rocket constructed in the United States.
19. The government has launched a secure telecom portal.
- Six months after the Cabinet passed the National Security Directive on the Telecommunication Sector, which required the government to announce a list of trusted sources and goods for installation in the country’s telecom networks, the Centre unveiled the Trusted Telecom Portal trustedtelecom.gov.in.
- Telecom service providers will be required to employ equipment only from trusted or authentic suppliers, according to a new portal run by the National Security Council Secretariat’s Cyber section.
20. The International Day to Combat Desertification and Drought was established to raise awareness about the issues of desertification and drought.
- Every year on June 17, the United Nations International Day to Combat Desertification and Drought is commemorated.
- The day is observed to raise awareness of the prevalence of desertification and drought, as well as to highlight measures for preventing and recovering from drought.
- “Restoration, land, and recovery are three words that come to mind when I think about restoration. The theme for 2021 Desertification and Drought Day is “We rebuild better with healthy land.”
Current Affair Links
|MCQ Current Affair Links||Hindu Editorial Vocabulary Links|
Connect with us on Social Media
Bidyasagar Classes Address
Plot No-N-6-325, Biju Patnaik College Road, Infront of SBI, Jayadev Vihar, Bhubaneswar
Opening and closing hours: Monday to Sunday :7AM-9PM
-Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org