In this article, we will discuss all the important current affairs of 20th July 2021 in detail.
1. India is now the world’s fifth-largest holder of foreign exchange reserves.
- After China, Japan, Switzerland, and Russia, India has surpassed China to become the world’s fifth largest foreign exchange reserve holder. On June 25, 2021, the country’s foreign exchange reserves were estimated to be about 609 billion dollars.
2. On June 28, the government announced a Rs 6,28,993 crore stimulus package: FM Nirmala Sitharaman is an Indian politician.
- The government issued a stimulus package of six lakh twenty-eight thousand nine hundred ninety three crore rupees on June 28th, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman told the Lok Sabha. According to her, the package intends to improve various sectors of the economy that have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
3. The deadline for integrating Aadhar with ration cards has been extended until September 30: Govt
- The deadline for all States and Union Territories to link beneficiaries’ Aadhaar numbers to their ration cards has been extended to September 30th, according to the Union Government.
4. Prasar Bharati and IIT-K will work together on a Next-Generation Broadcasting Technology Center of Excellence.
- To promote Aatmanirbhar Bharat in media and broadcasting, Prasar Bharati and IIT Kanpur will partner on the NextGen Broadcasting Technology Center of Excellence. A Center of Excellence for Media and Broadcasting Technologies will be formed at IIT Kanpur as a result of the Memorandum of Understanding.
- Prasar Bharati and IIT Kanpur will work together to create direct-to-mobile broadcasting capabilities, with the goal of aligning future technologies with global 5G standards.
5. Gujarat: The first-ever Balika Panchayat elections were successfully held in Kunariya village.
- Kunariya village in Gujarat’s Kutch area has come up with a novel idea for having a Balika Panchayat. Young females aged 10 to 21 ran for election to this one-of-a-kind Panchayat, which will address issues affecting teenage girls and women in the area.
- The Kunariya village in Kutch district today held elections for the unique Balika Panchayat, which aims to foster leadership characteristics in the females for future Panchayat polls, inspired by the TV serial Balika Vadhu. This Panchayat will be managed entirely by and for women.
6. The Indian Navy and the French Navy participate in Maritime Exercises.
- In the Bay of Biscay, the Indian destroyer INS Tabar participated in a two-day drill with the French frigate FNS Aquitaine and four Rafale fighter planes of the French Navy. The ships practised a variety of tasks, including anti-submarine and air defence drills, refuelling at sea, and firing.
- India and France have been discussing ways to strengthen their Indo-Pacific cooperation, including through a trilateral structure with Australia to meet emerging marine and space problems.
7. Saudi Arabia no longer requires female pilgrims to be accompanied by a male guardian.
- Saudi Arabia has declared that women without a male guardian can officially register for the annual Haj pilgrimage (mahram). The news comes just days after the Kingdom revealed that Saudi women can now live alone without the agreement of their father or male guardian, thanks to a new law reform.
Banking & Finance News
8. The FDI limit for NPS fund managers has been increased to 74 percent.
- Under the national pension system (NPS), the government increased the foreign direct investment (FDI) limit in pension fund management from 49 percent to 74 percent, allowing experienced foreign partners into the market and increasing competition in the fledgling industry.
Business & Economy News
9. TERA Finlabs, an artificial intelligence (AI)-based risk analysis platform, has been purchased by Razorpay, a business payments and financial services firm. This is Razorpay’s third acquisition since its founding.
- TERA Finlabs, situated in Bengaluru, offers risk management tools as well as tailored credit products to make lending more affordable for consumers and profitable for lenders.
10. In FY21, Switzerland accounted for half of India’s gold imports.
- Gold imports from Switzerland accounted for nearly half of India’s yellow metal imports in 2020-21, at $16.3 billion. Despite the pandemic, India’s overall gold imports during the time totaled $34.6 billion, up from $28.2 billion the previous year.
- Despite New Delhi’s efforts to curb commerce with China in the aftermath of the Galwan Valley incident, China remained India’s biggest commercial partner. The United States and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) were India’s second and third largest export destinations in 2017.
11. The Asian Development Bank has lowered India’s GDP growth prediction for this fiscal year to 10%.
- Due to the negative impact of the coronavirus epidemic, the Asian Development Bank has lowered India’s economic growth prediction for the current fiscal year to 10% from 11% expected in April.
- As economic activity normalises, the prediction for FY2022 (ending in March 2023), by which time much of India’s population is expected to be vaccinated, is revised from 7% to 7.5 percent.
12. Sanjay Gupta, the CEO of Google India, has been named Chairman of the IAMAI. Sanjay Gupta, Google India Vice President and Managing Director, has been voted as the organization’s chairman for the years 2021-23.
- He succeeds Amazon Senior Vice President and India Country Manager Amit Agarwal.
- The Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) has also nominated Razorpay Acquires Startup TERA Finlabs as Facebook India Vice President and Managing Director, following Yatra.com co-founder and CEO Dhruv Shringi.
13. B K Sinha has been named as India’s Olympic Press Attaché by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
- B K Sinha, a retired IPS officer, has been named as the Indian Olympic Association’s Security and Press Attache for the country’s representation at the Tokyo Olympics, which begin on July 23.
- Sinha is a former Haryana DGP and also a recipient of the President’s Police Medal.
Awards & Honours News
14. Miss India USA was crowned by Vaidehi Dongre of Michigan.
- Miss India USA 2021 was crowned by Vaidehi Dongre of Michigan, while Arshi Lalani of Georgia was named first runner up.
- She earned a bachelor’s degree in international studies from the University of Michigan.
Books & Authors News
15. Sudhanshu Mittal’s book on the RSS is now available in Chinese. The book of BJP leader Sudhanshu Mittal on the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) is now available in Chinese.
- Har-Anand Publications published ‘RSS: Building India Through SEWA’ in 2019, which discusses the RSS’s history, ideology, and policies, as well as their impact on the country. Jack Bo did the Chinese translation.
16. Chess Day is an annual celebration of the game of chess.
- International Chess Day is observed every year on July 20, the anniversary of the founding of the International Chess Federation in 1924. UNESCO advocated that this day be designated as International Chess Day, and it has been observed as such since 1966, when FIDE created it.
17. Day of Science Exploration
- The 20th of July is celebrated as Space Exploration Day in the realm of science and space exploration. On the same day in 1969, Neil Armstrong and Edwin ‘Buzz’ Aldrin were the first humans to set foot on the Moon. In 1969, Neil Armstrong became the first man to set foot on the moon’s surface, describing the accomplishment as “one huge leap for mankind.”
Connect with us on Social Media
Bidyasagar Classes Address
Plot No-N-6-325, Biju Patnaik College Road, Infront of SBI, Jayadev Vihar, Bhubaneswar
Opening and closing hours: Monday to Sunday :7AM-9PM
-Mail : [email protected]