In this article, we will discuss all the important current affairs of 5th January 2022 in detail.
1. Himachal Pradesh became India’s first LPG-enabled and smoke-free state.
- Himachal Pradesh has become India’s first smoke-free LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) state.
- The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) scheme of the Central Government and the Mukhya Mantri Grihini Suvidha Yojana of the HP Government both contribute to this success (GSY).
2. Telangana was the state with the most ODF villages.
- Under the Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen) Phase-II programme, Telangana ranked top in the country in terms of the maximum number of open defecation-free (ODF Plus) villages through December 31, 2021.
- There are 13,737 communities on the ODF Plus list out of 14,200 in the state, or 96.74 percent. Tamil Nadu came in second with 4,432 villages (35.39 percent) and Karnataka came in third with 1,511 villages (5.59 percent ). Gujarat was ranked 17th, with only 83 villages (0.45 percent ).
3. NEAT 3.0 ed-tech solutions were launched by Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan.
- Dharmendra Pradhan, the Union Minister of Education, has announced NEAT 3.0, a single platform that would give students with the best-developed ed-tech solutions and courses.
- He also introduced AICTE-recommended technical books in regional languages.
4. SECI in Bikaner, Rajasthan, commissioned a 600 MW soler project by Azure Power.
- Azure Power Global, a major independent provider of sustainable energy solutions in India, has commissioned a 600 megawatt (MW) solar project in Bikaner, Rajasthan, that is connected to the Interstate Transmission System (ISTS).
- This is India’s largest solar power facility, owned and controlled by a single developer at a single location.
5. Apple became the first corporation in the world to reach the $3 trillion mark. M-Cap
- Apple Inc. became the first corporation in the world to reach a market capitalization of $3 trillion. Apple’s market capitalization reached $182.86 per share, making it the first business in the world to reach the $3 trillion milestone.
- However, the share price fell below the mark soon after, and did not climb again until the market closed. In 2020, Apple will have surpassed $2 trillion in revenue, up from $1 trillion in 2018.
Banking & Finance News
6. The Reserve Bank of India has designated Airtel Payments Bank as a scheduled bank.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has announced that Airtel Payments Bank has been added to the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934’s second schedule.
- As a Scheduled Payments Bank, Airtel Payments Bank is eligible to participate in RFPs issued by the government and other large enterprises, main auctions, fixed-rate and variable-rate repos, and reverse repos, as well as the Marginal Standing Facility.
7. Domestic Systemically Important Banks SBI, ICICI Bank, and HDFC Bank continue to exist.
- SBI, ICICI, and HDFC banks would continue to be identified as Domestic Systemically Important Banks (D-SIBs) under the same bucketing structure as in the 2020 list of D-SIBs, according to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- SIBs are thought to be ‘too big to fail (TBTF)’ banks. In times of trouble, this notion of TBTF fosters an expectation of government assistance for these banks.
8. NBBL created UPMS to make recurring bill payments easier.
- NPCI Bharat BillPay Limited (NBBL), a wholly-owned subsidiary of National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), has created a Unified Presentment Management System (UPMS) that allows customers to set up standing instructions for recurring bill payments across all modalities of digital payments.
- In terms of auto-debit and bill payment administration, bills will be automatically collected from billers and presented to clients for their action.
9. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has released a framework for facilitating small-value digital payments in the offline mode.
- To drive digital transactions in rural and semi-urban areas, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) issued a framework for allowing small-value digital payments in offline mode utilising cards, wallets, mobile devices, and other methods.
- An offline payment transaction’s top limit was set at Rs 200, with a total limit of Rs 2,000 at any given moment.
10. RBI has nominated Ajay Kumar Choudhary and Deepak Kumar as new Executive Directors.
- The Reserve Bank of India has promoted Deepak Kumar and Ajay Kumar Choudhary to the position of executive directors (RBI).
- Deepak Kumar previously led the RBI’s Department of Information Technology, while Choudhary was the Department of Supervision’s Chief General Manager-in-Charge.
11. G Asok Kumar has been named Director-General of the National Ganga Cleanup Mission.
- G Asok Kumar, the Additional Secretary in the Ministry of Jal Shakti, has been named the next Director-General of the Ministry of Jal Shakti’s National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG).
- He succeeded Rajiv Ranjan Mishra as Director-General. He is recognised as “India’s Rain Man” for his outstanding work in rainwater harvesting as part of the “Jal Shakti Abhiyan: Catch the Rain” initiative.
12. Alka Mittal was appointed as the first woman Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of ONGC, on the additional charge of Human Resources (HR) Director of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC), Alka Mittal was appointed as the first woman Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of ONGC, on the additional charge of Human Resources (HR) Director of ONGC, Alka Mittal was appointed as the first woman Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of ONGC, on the additional charge
- Subhash Kumar, who retired on December 31, 2021, was succeeded by Alka Mittal. She will serve as CMD for six months or until a regular appointment is announced for the job.
Awards & Honours News
13. Harpreet Chandi became the first woman of colour to walk to the South Pole alone and unassisted.
- Captain Harpreet Chandi, an Indian-origin British Sikh Army officer, became the first woman of colour to attempt a solo unsupported walk to the South Pole.
- Captain Harpreet Chandi, also known as ‘Polar Preet,’ is a 32-year-old physiotherapist. In 40 days, she completed her 700-mile solo journey to the South Pole.
14. Viktor Saneyev, a three-time Olympic gold medalist in the Triple Jump, has died.
- Viktor Danilovich Saneyev, the three-time Olympic triple jump gold champion and former world record holder, died in Australia at the age of 76.
- He was a triple-long player who competed in the Olympic games for the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR). Later, he worked in Australia as a coach. He won gold medals in the European Games in Athens in 1969 and Rome in 1974.
15. Vice Admiral Sree Harilal Sarma, a 1971 Indo-Pak war veteran, has died.
- Vice Admiral Sree Harilal Sarma (SH Sarma), the senior-most living war veteran in the Indian Navy, died at his home in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. He served in the Indo-Pak war in 1971.
- During the 1971 Indo-Pakistan War, Vice Admiral SH Sarma, who was awarded the Param Vishisht Seva Medal (PVSM), was the Flag Officer Commanding Eastern Fleet (FOCEF).
Connect with us on Social Media
Bidyasagar Classes Address
Plot No-N-6-325, Biju Patnaik College Road, Infront of SBI, Jayadev Vihar, Bhubaneswar
Opening and closing hours: Monday to Sunday :7AM-9PM
-Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org