In this article, we will discuss all the important current affairs of 8th June 2021 in detail.
1. Punjab topped the school performance rating index.
- Punjab ranked first in the Education Ministry’s national performance grading index for school education in 2019-20.
- Punjab, which increased its ranking from 13th in 2018-19, topped the charts this time with a score of 929 out of 1,000, followed by Chandigarh (912) and Tamil Nadu (906).
2. The 8th Global Nitrogen Conference will be held in Germany.
- In Berlin, Germany, the 8th International Nitrogen Initiative Conference (INI2020) was placed.
- The eighth triennial conference of the International Nitrogen Initiative (INI) focused on the United Nations (UN) Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Assessing and regulating nitrogen compounds sustainably was seen as critical to achieving the 17 UN SDGs set for 2030.
3. The United Nations has declared a Decade of Ecosystem Restoration for the years 2021-2030.
- The United Nations Decade on Ecosystem Restoration, which will run from 2021 to 2030, was officially launched on World Environment Day 2021.
- The UN Environment Programme (UNEP) and the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) will co-lead the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration (FAO).
4. Pakistan’s enhanced follow-up status is maintained by the FATF’s regional body, the APG.
- The Asia Pacific Group on Money Laundering (APG) on Money Laundering, a regional affiliate of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), has maintained Pakistan’s “enhanced follow-up” status for sufficient outstanding requirements while improving the country’s rating on 21 of the 40 technical recommendations of the global money laundering and terror financing watchdog.
- The Financial Action Task Force (FATF) in Paris placed Pakistan on the grey list in June 2018, and the country has been working hard to get off it.
5. THE ASIA UNIVERSITY RANKINGS FOR 2021 ARE NOW AVAILABLE
- Three Indian universities made the top 100 list in the recent Times Higher Education Asia university rankings for 2021.
- The Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, the Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar, and the Indian Institute of Technology, Indore, have all been ranked among Asia’s top 100 universities. Like last year, no Indian university made it into the top ten. IISc Bangalore came in 37th place. Among the top 100 universities, IIT Ropar is ranked 55th, and IIT Indore is ranked 78th.
Banking & Finance News
6. The Reserve Bank of India has imposed a Rs 6 crore penalty on BoI and PNB.
- The Reserve Bank of India and Punjab National Bank were fined a total of Rs 6 crore by the RBI for violating various regulations, including one relating to ‘Frauds – Classification and Reporting.’
- Bank of India has been fined Rs 4 crore and Punjab National Bank has been fined Rs 2 crore.
7. The NITI Aayog suggests that the Central Bank and the Indian Overseas Bank be privatised.
- As part of the privatisation drive announced in the Union Budget, NITI Aayog has proposed that the government sell its stakes in the Central Bank of India and Indian Overseas Bank (IOB).
- The disinvestment of the Central Bank and the Indian Overseas Bank has been advocated, and the sale of the Bank of India is a possibility.
8. The SBI has approved a loan of Rs 3725 crore for the Noida International Airport.
- The country’s largest lender, State Bank of India (SBI), has approved a loan of Rs 3725 crore for the development of Noida International Airport (NIA), which would be the second airport in the National Capital Region and is being developed by Yamuna International Airport (YIAPL) (NCR).
- SBI has underwritten the full loan of Rs 3725 crore for a 20-year door-to-door tenor.
Business & Economy News
9. NMPS and CSIR-NBRI have signed an agreement to increase the production of medicinal plants and herbs.
- The National Medical Plant Board (NMPS) and the National Botanical Research Institute (CSIR-NBRI) have signed a memorandum of understanding to increase medicinal plant and herb cultivation and production in India.
- NMPB will assist CSIR-NBRI in the collecting and preservation of germplasm, as well as the creation of nurseries and seed banks/gene banks, for potential medicinal plant species with high economic value.
10. Abdulla Shahid, the Foreign Minister of the Maldives, was chosen President of the United Nations General Assembly’s 76th session.
- Abdulla Shahid, the Foreign Minister of the Maldives, was voted as the new President of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) by a three-quarter majority over Afghanistan’s former foreign minister Zalmai Rassoul.
- Out of the 191 votes cast, Shahid received 143 votes and Rassoul received 48.
11. Sanjeev Sahai will be the new chairman of the PNGRB, the oil regulator.
- Sanjeev Nandan Sahai, the former electricity secretary, was chosen as the next chairman of the oil regulator PNGRB after a last-minute entrance into the list of contenders.
- Since Dinesh K Sarraf’s three-year term ended on December 4, 2020, the position of Chairman of the PNGRB has been vacant.
12. Hitendra Dave has been named the next CEO of HSBC India.
- Hitendra Dave will be named chief executive officer (CEO) of HSBC India once regulatory approval is received, and he has been named interim CEO, effective June 7, 2021.
- Surendra Rosha, who has been the co-chief executive of HSBC Asia-Pacific for three years, will be replaced by Dave.
13. Winning the Global Teacher Award Ranjitsinh Disale is an Indian educator. Appointed as a World Bank Education Advisor
- Ranjitsinh Disale, the first Indian teacher to get the renowned Global Teacher Award in 2020, has been named an Education Advisor to the World Bank’s international advisory board, which strives to improve teaching quality.
- He is one of the 12 advisors from around the world who have been nominated to represent India.
14. Vishwavir Ahuja re-appointed as MD & CEO of RBL Bank The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has confirmed Vishwavir Ahuja’s re-appointment as Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of private lender RBL Bank for another year, with effect from June 30, 2021.
- Since June 30, 2010, Ahuja has been the bank’s CEO.
- Mumbai is the headquarters of RBL Bank.
15. Sergio Perez is the winner of the Azerbaijan Grand Prix in 2021.
- On June 6, 2021, Sergio Perez [Mexico-Red Bull] won the 2021 Azerbaijan Grand Prix.
- Second place went to Sebastian Vettel (Aston Martin – Germany).
16. In 2024, Oman will host the first FIH Hockey5s World Cup.
- The FIH, the world governing organization for field hockey, has named Oman as the host of the inaugural Hockey5s World Cup.
- In January 2024, the men’s and women’s tournaments will be held in Muscat, Oman’s capital.
Awards & Honours News
17. Water Burial, a film from Arunachal Pradesh, has won the National Award for Best Film.
- At the 67th National Films Awards 2021, Water Burial, a film based on the Monpa dialect of Arunachal Pradesh, won the Best Film National Award in the environment conservation category.
- The film, directed by independent filmmaker Shantanu Sen and shot in Monpa dialect, has received excellent reviews for its distinctiveness in showing tribal traditions in the Northeast and drawing mainstream media attention to them.
18. The international airport of Bengaluru has achieved net energy neutrality.
- According to Bangalore International Airport Ltd (BIAL), the airport’s operator, the Kempegowda International Airport in Bengaluru reached net energy neutral status in the Financial Year 2020-21 as part of its sustainability targets.
- BIAL also stated that it saved nearly five lakh units (KWH) from lighting and over 17 lakh units (KWH) from chiller plant optimization in heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) (KWH).
19. Lakshmi Nandan Bora, an Assamese poet, has died.
- Lakshmi Nandan Bora, a well-known Assamese poet and Padma Shri awardee, died in a private hospital in Guwahati. He was 91 years old when he died.
- Mr. Bora was the first person from Andhra University to receive a doctorate in meteorology. Over 60 works have been written by him, including Patal Bhairavi and Kayakalpa.
20. June 8th is World Oceans Day.
- World Oceans Day is observed every year on June 8 to honor the importance of the seas in our daily lives and to encourage people to take action to protect the oceans and use marine resources sustainably.
- ‘The Ocean: Life & Livelihoods’ is the topic of the United Nations World Oceans Day in 2021.
21. The 8th of June is World Brain Tumor Day.
- Every year on June 8, World Tumor Day is commemorated to raise awareness about this dangerous disease, assure early diagnosis, and honor brain tumor patients and their families.
- The German Brain Tumor Association (GBTA) established the day in 2000.
Current Affair Links
|MCQ Current Affair Links||Hindu Editorial Vocabulary Links|
Connect with us on Social Media
Bidyasagar Classes Address
Plot No-N-6-325, Biju Patnaik College Road, Infront of SBI, Jayadev Vihar, Bhubaneswar
Opening and closing hours: Monday to Sunday :7AM-9PM
e-Mail : email@example.com