1. Himachal Pradesh is Building ‘Forest Ponds’ to Harvest Rainwater to Replenish Groundwater
- Under the Parvat Dhara scheme, the government has initiated rejuvenation of water sources and recharging aquifers through the forest department with an outlay of Rs 20 crore.
- The department spent Rs 2.76 crore in 2020-21 for the construction of 110 big and small ponds, 600 check dams, and 12,000 contour trenches along with plantation to store water and recharge the aquifers.
BANKING & FINANCE
2. RBI imposes Rs 3 crore penalty on ICICI Bank
- The penalty has been imposed for contravention of certain directions issued by the RBI on ‘Prudential Norms for Classification, Valuation, and Operation of Investment Portfolio by Banks’.
3. World Bank’s IFC to make debt investment of $150 mn in Bajaj Finance
- The loan is sanctioned for five years to essentially support micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME).
- Bajaj Finance will direct 3 times of its IFC’s loan towards the MSME segment thus enabling combined funding of $600 million/INR 4,530 crore towards MSME.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
4. Wipro overtakes HCL Tech to become third most-valued Indian IT firm
- Wipro stood at number 12 in the overall m-cap ranking with an m-cap of Rs 65 trillion. HCL Technologies, meanwhile, slipped to number 13 with an m-cap of Rs 2.62 trillion.
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), which is at the number one position in the IT company’s market- cap rank, stands strong with a market cap of Rs 11.47 trillion, followed by Infosys (Rs 5.72 trillion), data shows.
5. PV Sindhu, Michelle Li Named Athlete Ambassadors for IOC’s ‘Belief in Sports’ Campaign
- As part of the campaign, Sindhu and Li will be engaging with the badminton athlete community through online webinars and social media messages to highlight the risks involved and educate them on how best to safeguard and protect themselves in light of opportunities to manipulate their competition.
6. Justice (retd) PC Pant appointed acting chairperson of NHRC
- Prior to his appointment as a member, NHRC on April 22, 2019, he was a Judge of the Supreme Court from August 13, 2014, to August 29, 2017, it mentioned.
7. Vijay Goel takes over as CMD of THDCIL
- THDC India Ltd said Vijay Goel has assumed the additional charge as its chairman and managing director from May 1, 2021.
- Goel is also discharging the responsibility of the director (personnel) of THDCIL.
8. Hamilton wins Portuguese Grand Prix 2021
- Lewis Hamilton claimed his 97th career victory with a win at the Portuguese Grand Prix over Red Bull’s Max Verstappen and Mercedes teammate Valteri Bottas.
- The victory for Hamilton is his second of the season and puts him eight points ahead of Red Bull’s Verstappen in the title standings.
9. Australian Jack Miller wins Spanish GP 2021
- Australian Ducati rider Jack Miller edged out teammate Francesco Bagnaia to claim his first MotoGP win in five years at the Spanish Grand
- Miller and teammate Pecco Bagnaia completed a Ducati 1-2 followed by Yamaha star Franco Morbidelli.
10. Former Sri Lanka fast bowler Nuwan Zoysa banned for 6 years under ICC Anti-Corruption Code
- Former Sri Lanka seamer and coach Nuwan Zoysa was banned from all cricket for six years after being found guilty of trying to fix matches and failing to disclose corrupt approaches from a suspected Indian bookie.
- The ban on Zoysa, a left-arm seamer, is backdated to October 31, 2018, when he was provisionally suspended.
11. Apple announces $200 mn Restore Fund to reduce carbon
- The Restore Fund, launched in partnership with Conservation International and Goldman Sachs, expected to have its first projects targeted later this year.
- The fund aims to remove one million metric tons of carbon dioxide annually from the atmosphere, equal to the amount spewed by more than 200,000 passenger vehicles.
12. Swimming: Srihari Nataraj creates a third national record in two days, wins gold at Uzbekistan Open
- The 20-year-old clocked 11 seconds to bag the top prize at the FINA-accredited Olympic qualifying event.
- It was Srihari’s third national record in two days as the Bengaluru swimmer had rewritten the national marks twice in 100m backstrokes, his pet event.
13. Tokyo Olympics 2020: Indian gymnast Pranati Nayak gets Asian quota, to compete at Games
- India gymnast Pranati Nayak, who had claimed a bronze in a vault at the Asian Artistic Gymnastics Championships in 2019, is set to compete at the Tokyo Olympics after qualifying through the continental quota.
- The 26-year-old from West Bengal is the second reserve behind Sri Lanka’s Elpitiya Badalge Dona Milka Geh for the Asian quota and became eligible to compete from the zone following the cancellation of the 9th Senior Asian Championships, which was scheduled to be held from May 29-June 1 in Hangzhou, China, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
14. Japan to confer Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Rays decoration to Bengaluru teacher
- Bengaluru teacher Shyamala Ganesh, the former director of the Japanese Language School, will be conferred the Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Rays.
- The decision to confer the decoration is the first of its kind since the establishment of the Consulate-General of Japan in Bengaluru.
15. Aeronautical scientist Manas Bihari Verma passes away
- Aeronautical scientist Manas Bihari Verma died of a heart attack at his native place in Darbhanga district of Bihar. He was 78.
- Mr. Verma played a vital role in the development of the Light Combat Aircraft – Tejas. He was a close associate of former President APJ Abdul Kalam. In 2018, he was conferred Padma Sri.
16. Assam’s first female IAS officer Parul Debi Das passes away
- Parul Debi Das had also served in Meghalaya for a short time in the late 80s.
- She had retired from service as the Additional Chief Secretary of Assam.
17. Former J&K Governor Jagmohan passes away
- A civil servant, Jagmohan also served as Lieutenant Governor of Delhi and He was nominated to the Rajya Sabha once and represented New Delhi in Lok Sabha thrice.
- In the Atal Bihari Vajpayee Cabinet, he served as the Union Minister for Communications, Urban Development, Tourism, and Culture. He was honored with Padma Shri in 1971, Padma Bhushan in 1977, and Padma Vibhushan in 2016.
18. Renowned AIR Newsreader Sushil Javeri passes away
- Renowned AIR Newsreader Sushil Javeri passed away in Ahmedabad, Gujarat due to COVID-19.
- Javeri famous for his immaculate English baritone voice received his early education at Craig School at Ealing in London and joined AIR drawing inspiration from the historic broadcasts of Melville de Mellow.
19. International Firefighters’ Day: 4th MAY
- International Firefighters’ Day is observed each year on 4th May.
- The day is celebrated to honor the work of firefighting professionals, who dedicate their lives to the protection of people and property.
Connect with us on Social Media
Bidyasagar Classes Address
Plot No-N-6-325, Biju Patnaik College Road, Infront of SBI, Jayadev Vihar, Bhubaneswar
Opening and closing hours: Monday to Sunday :7AM-9PM
e-Mail : email@example.com