1. In Mumbai, the country’s first “Drive-in Vaccination Center” was opened.
In Mumbai, MP Rahul Shewale inaugurated the country’s first “Drive-in Vaccination Center.” This center is located in the parking lot of Dadar’s Kohinoor Square Tower.
This unique ‘Drive-in Vaccine Center’ service has been made open to residents at a time when people with disabilities are having difficulty access to vaccination centers. The center also offers mobility to people who do not have access to their own cars.
2. Madhya Pradesh: Under the Sambal system, Rs 379 crore was transferred into the accounts of 16,844 beneficiaries.
- Under the Mukhyamantri Jan-Kalyan Sambal scheme in Madhya Pradesh, 379 crore rupees have been transferred into the accounts of 16 thousand 844 beneficiaries.
- The state government, according to Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, places a high priority on helping deprived families of unorganized sector employees. In the meantime, the Free Swastha Aahar Yojana (Healthy Food Scheme) for Bhopal’s corona patients has been launched. In the hospital where he is admitted, the patient can receive nutritious meals on time and at no cost.
3. Armed forces in India have conducted Operation CO-JEET to combat COVID-19.
The armed forces also conducted operation “CO-JEET” to aid anti-COVID-19 operations, such as improving hospital facilities and oxygen supply chains, as well as taking steps to maintain people’s emotional well-being.
- Lt. Gen. Kanitkar, the third woman in the armed forces to achieve the rank of three-star general, is working around the clock to strategize and track measures to give relief to COVID-19 patients.
Personnel from the three wings of the armed forces — the Army, Indian Air Force, and Navy — have been pressed into action to help rebuild oxygen supply chains, set up COVID beds, and assist the civilian government in its struggle to contain the pandemic under the CO-JEET programme.
4. The Cabinet has approved a Memorandum of Understanding between India and the United Kingdom on Migration and Mobility Partnership.
- The signing of an MoU on Migration and Mobility Partnership between India and the United Kingdom has been authorized by the Union Cabinet.
- The MoU would support Indian scholars, educators, and analysts, as well as technical and economic migrants and others able to contribute to the economic growth of both countries through various ventures. It will help both countries’ innovation ecosystems by promoting the free flow of talent.
5. The INS Talwar arrives in New Mangalore Port, Karnataka, with 40 tonnes of liquid medical oxygen.
- Mansukh Mandaviya, Minister of State for Ports, Shipping, and Waterways, announced that the INS Talwar, carrying 40 tonnes of liquid medical oxygen, has arrived at New Mangalore Port in Karnataka.
- Bahrain contributed 40 tonnes of liquid medical oxygen, which was stored in cryogenic tanks.
- Seven Indian Naval ships, including Kolkata, Kochi, Talwar, Tabar, Trikand, Jalashwa, and Airavat, have been deployed to ship liquid medical oxygen-filled cryogenic containers and related medical equipment from different countries in support of the nation’s battle against COVID-19 as part of operation “Samudra Setu II.”
6. Cryogenic Oxygen Tanks and Oxygen Cylinders are among the critical medical supplies carried by the INS Airavat. Takes off from Singapore.
- INS Airavat has departed Singapore with eight 27-ton sizes Cryogenic Oxygen Tanks and other essential COVID Medical Stores, including 3600 Oxygen Cylinders, in support of the nation’s war against COVID-19 and as part of an ongoing operation “Samudra Setu II.”
- The containers and cylinders were obtained from a variety of sources in collaboration with the Indian High Commission. In these trying times, the Indian Navy continues to stand by the nation.
Banking & Finance News
7. RBI imposes Rs 3 crore penalty on ICICI Bank for Violating Specific Directions Issued by RBI
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed a monetary penalty of Rs. 3 crore on ICICI Bank Ltd. for non-compliance with certain RBI directions in the matter of shifting of securities from one category to another.
- As per RBI, the penalty has been imposed for “contravention of certain directions issued by the RBI contained in Master Circular on ‘Prudential Norms for Classification, Valuation and Operation of Investment Portfolio by Banks’ dated July 1, 2015”
Business & Economy News
8. Samsung pledges $5 million to India, and Paytm plans to construct oxygen plants in 13 cities as part of COVID-19 relief efforts.
- Samsung has pledged $5 million (Rs 37 crore), and Paytm Foundation plans to construct oxygen plants in 12-13 cities as part of its efforts to help India fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Samsung will contribute $3 million to the government of India and the states of Uttar Pradesh and Tamil Nadu, as well as $2 million in medical equipment, including 100 oxygen concentrators, 3,000 oxygen cylinders, and one million LDS syringes (to Uttar Pradesh and Tamil Nadu).
9. Goldman Sachs lowers GDP growth forecast for India in FY22 to 11.1% amid lockdowns
- Wall Street brokerage Goldman Sachs has cut the GDP growth rate estimate for the Indian economy to 11.1 percent in fiscal year FY22 (April 01, 2021, to March 31, 2022), due to increasing intensities of lockdowns by states to check the spread of coronavirus infections.
- Goldman Sachs has also revised the 2021 Calendar Year growth forecast to 9.7 percent, from the previous estimate of 10.5 percent.
10. MK Stalin is the new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
- On May 7, Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit named DMK President M.K. Stalin as Chief Minister and invited him to join the state government.
- On April 6, the DMK won 133 of the possible 234 Assembly seats that were up for election. Allies gained a few more seats, including the Congress, which won 18 districts.
11. Mahesh Balasubramanian Appointed as MD of Kotak Mahindra Life Insurance.
- Mahesh Balasubramanian has been appointed as the Managing Director (MD) of Kotak Mahindra Life Insurance Company Limited (KLI).
- He has been appointed for a period of three years, following the retirement of G Murlidhar.
12. Mark Selby becomes World Snooker Champion for Fourth Time
- In Snooker, English professional player Mark Selby has become the World Snooker Champion for the fourth time.
- Selby won the Championship title after defeating fellow mate Shaun Murphy by 18-15 victory at a professional snooker tournament, that took place from 17 April to 3 May 2021 at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield, England.
Awards & Honours News
13. Maria Ressa is the recipient of the UNESCO World Press Freedom Award.
- Maria Ressa, a Filipino investigative journalist and media executive, has been elected the UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize laureate for 2021, following the recommendation of an international jury of media professionals.
- According to UNESCO, the $25,000 award “recognizes exceptional contributions to the defense or promotion of press freedom, especially in the face of danger.”
14. Dr. Philipose Mar Chrysostom, the former head of the Mar Thoma Church, has died.
Dr. Philipose Mar Chrysostom, the former head of the Malankara Mar Thoma Syrian Church and India’s longest-serving bishop, died of age-related ailments. He lived to be 103 years old.
Mar Chrysostom was awarded the Padma Bhushan by President Ram Nath Kovind in 2018. He is an exceptional holy dignitary with a sincere humanitarian perspective and global vision. For 68 years, he served as a priest.
15. Aeronautical Scientist Manas Bihari Verma, Part of LCA-Tejas Developing Team, Passes Away at 78
- The Indian aeronautical scientist, Manas Bihari Verma, who played an instrumental role in the development of the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) – Tejas, has passed away. He was 78.
- He was given the responsibility for the design of the Tejas aircraft mechanical system, where he led the team responsible for the full-scale engineering development of the Tejas aircraft in the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA).
16. Former J&K Governor Jagmohan Passes Away at 94
- Former Jammu and Kashmir Governor Jagmohan Malhotra have passed away after a brief illness. He was 94.
- Jagmohan served two terms as Jammu and Kashmir Governor, once from 1984 to 1989, and then from January 1990 to May 1990. Apart from this, he was honored with the Padma Shri in 1971, Padma Bhushan in 1977, and Padma Vibhushan in 2016.
17. Rashpal Malhotra, the founder of CRRID and a well-known scholar, has died.
- Rashpal Malhotra (84), the founder of the Center for Research in Rural and Industrial Development (CRRID) and a noted scholar, died after a week-long fight with COVID-19 at a private hospital in Mohali.
- Mr. Malhotra was the Executive Chairman of the CRRID and a member of the Pushpa Gujral Science City Board of Governors, among other prestigious institutions. He has served on the Senates of Patiala’s Punjabi University and Chandigarh’s Panjab University.
18.International Day of the Midwife: 05 May
- Every year the, International Confederation of Midwives (ICM) celebrates the International Day of the Midwife on 5 May.
- The theme for 2021 International Day of the Midwife is “Follow the Data: Invest in Midwives.”
19. World Hand Hygiene Day : 05 May
- The day is organized by the World Health Organization (WHO) to raise awareness among people across the globe about the importance of hand hygiene in warding off many serious infections.
- The theme for 2021 is ‘Seconds Save Lives: Clean Your Hands’.
Current Affair Links
|MCQ Current Affair Links||Hindu Editorial Vocabulary Links|
|May 1||May 1||May 1|
|May 2||May 2||May 2|
|May 3||May 3||May 3|
|May 4||May 4||May 4|
|May 5||May 5||May 5|
|May 6||May 6||May 6|
|May 7||May 7||May 7|
|May 8||May 8||May 8|
|May 9||May 9||May 9|
|May 10||May 10||May 10|
|May 11||May 11||May 11|
|May 12||May 12||May 12|
|May 13||May 13||May 13|
|May 14||May 14||May 14|
|May 15||May 15||May 15|
|May 16||May 16||May 16|
|May 17||May 17||May 17|
|May 18||May 18||May 18|
|May 19||May 19||May 19|
|May 20||May 20||May 20|
|May 21||May 21||May 21|
|May 22||May 22||May 22|
|May 23||May 23||May 23|
|May 24||May 24||May 24|
|May 25||May 25||May 25|
|May 26||May 26||May 26|
|May 27||May 27||May 27|
|May 28||May 28||May 28|
|May 29||May 29||May 29|
|May 30||May 30||May 30|
|May 31||May 31||May 31|
Connect with us on Social Media
Bidyasagar Classes Address
Plot No-N-6-325, Biju Patnaik College Road, Infront of SBI, Jayadev Vihar, Bhubaneswar
Opening and closing hours: Monday to Sunday :7AM-9PM
e-Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org