1. Mamata Banerjee Sworn-in as Chief Minister of West Bengal for Third Consecutive Term
- Mamata Banerjee has been sworn in as the Chief Minister of West Bengal on May 05, 2021, for the third consecutive term, after a massive win in the state assembly elections 2021.
- The ruling All India Trinamool Congress (TMC) supremo was administered the oath of office and secrecy by state Governor Jagdeep Dhankhar.
Under the leadership of DIDI, TMC won with a landslide two-thirds majority in the 2021 assembly elections, winning 216 seats out of a total of 290.
2. Facebook Launches In-app Vaccine Finder Tool, Partners With Central Govt
- Facebook has made a partnership with the Indian Govt in order to help people identify places to get vaccinated and also, Facebook launched a vaccine finder tool.
- The vaccine finder tool will be available on Facebook’s mobile app in India.
It will be available in 17 languages.
3. Tripura’s Education Minister launches the Sri Aurobindo Society’s Auro Scholarship Program
Ratan Lal Nath, the Education Minister of Tripura, launched the Sri Aurobindo Society’s “Auro Scholarship Program” for all students in the state at a virtual event hosted by the Society.
The Auro Scholarship Program, a one-of-a-kind project, provides students with a monthly micro-scholarship in order to inspire them to achieve better learning results after they achieve benchmark success in 10-minute curriculum-aligned Quizzes conducted on the Auro Scholar App.
4. World’s Largest Aircraft, ’Stratoluanch Roc’ Successfully Completes Second Test Flight
- The world’s largest plane ‘Stratoluanch Roc’ successfully completed a test flight for a second time recently over the Southern California desert.
- The test flight lasted for about three hours and 14 minutes and the vehicle reached an altitude of 14,000-feet (about 2.6 miles) at a top speed of 199 mph.
5. On climate change, Saudi Arabia will join the ‘Net Zero Producers Forum.’
- Saudi Arabia will join the United States, Canada, Norway, and Qatar in creating the ‘Net Zero Producers Forum,’ which will explore how oil and gas producers can help enforce the Paris Climate Agreement.
- Saudi Arabia, the world’s largest oil exporter, will participate in the new forum, which will explore ways to meet net-zero carbon emission goals in order to limit global warming.
6. MEA S Jaishankar attends the G7 Foreign Ministers Meeting virtually
- Dr. S Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, attended the G-7 Foreign Ministers meeting in London via video conference.
He discussed how to boost support for COVAX, a global vaccine distribution system, and ensure equal access to vaccine stocks, as well as girls’ education, unjust detention, and media freedom.
Banking & Finance News
7. RBI Announces Term Liquidity Facility of Rs. 50,000 Crore For Healthcare
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Shaktikanta Das has announced a Covid-19 healthcare package of Rs 50,000 crore on May 05, 2021, for lending to entities such as vaccine makers, medical equipment suppliers, hospitals, and related sectors, besides the patients in need of funds for treatment.
- The new on-tap special liquidity facility of Rs 50,000 crore will be made available to the banks at the repo rate, for access to emergency health security amid the economic stress due to the second wave of Covid-19 in India.
8. Citi announces an additional Rs 200 million in aid for COVID relief efforts in India, while Wells Fargo pledges $3 million
- Citibank, the largest bank in the United States, has pledged an additional Rs 200 crore to fund COVID-19 relief efforts in India.
- A total of Rs 200 crore will be invested over the next three financial years, with Rs 75 crore going toward immediate medical and humanitarian needs.
Business & Economy News
9. S&P Revises India’s GDP Growth Forecast to 9.8% for FY22
- The US-based S&P Global Ratings has lowered the GDP growth forecast of the Indian economy to 9.8 percent for the financial year 2021-22 (FY22).
- Earlier in March 2021, this estimate was 11 percent.
10.Despite the lockdowns, the online share of retail sales has increased to 19%, according to a UN report
- According to a report released by the United Nations, online sales accounted for nearly a fifth of overall retail turnover last year, as lockdowns to tackle the spread of the coronavirus pandemic fueled a boom in e-commerce.
- According to figures from the UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) based on national statistical offices in major economies, online transactions accounted for 19 percent of total retail sales in 2020, up from 16 percent a year earlier.
11. The PepsiCo Foundation is partnering with SEEDS to establish a covid camp for vaccinations
- The PepsiCo Foundation, the company’s philanthropic arm, announced a collaboration with the Sustainable Environment and Ecological Development Society (SEEDS) to initiate a community COVID-19 vaccination drive and establish COVID care centers.
- Over 1 lakh vaccine doses will be distributed to communities via the local healthcare system, while five COVID treatment centers will be set up for three months and will be fitted with beds and medical facilities, including oxygen cylinders.
12. Vijay Goel as CMD of THDCIL
- THDC India Ltd has announced that Vijay Goel assumed as chairman and managing director. his appointment will come into effect from May 1, 2021.
- In 1990, Goel became part of the company as a senior personnel officer (SPO) from NHPC Ltd.
13. The Indian Institute of Rice Research has appointed RM Sundaram as its Director
- The Indian Institute of Rice Research (IIRR), an arm of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research, has appointed Raman Meenakshi Sundaram as its Director.
- Prior to this promotion, he was a Principal Scientist (Biotechnology) in the Crop Improvement Section of the institute.
14. Former Sri Lanka Bowler Nuwan Zoysa banned for six years for breaching ICC anti-corruption code
- The former Sri Lanka cricketer and coach Nuwan Zoysa has been banned from all cricket for six years by the International Cricket Council (ICC).
- The ICC has backdated the ban for Zoysa to October 31, 2018, when he was provisionally suspended.
15. Jhilli Dalabehera of India wins her first Asian Weightlifting Championship gold medal
- Jhilli Dalabehera of India won the 45kg category gold medal at the Asian Weightlifting Championships in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
- It was a two-lifter field, and Dalabehera took advantage of the opportunity to improve her continental record.
Awards & Honours News
16. Philippines Journalist Maria Ressa Honored with 2021 UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize
- Investigative journalist and media executive Maria Ressa of the Philippines has been named as the winner of the 2021 UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize. The award carries prize money of $25,000.
- Presently Ressa is the CEO of the Rappler, a Philippine online news website.
17. Assam’s first female IAS officer Parul Debi Das died
- The first female IAS officer from Assam Parul Debi Das has passed away in Guwahati. she was suffering from COVID-19 and was taking treatment at the Apollo Hospitals.
- Parul has served in Meghalaya in he late 80s.
18. Renowned AIR Newsreader Sushil Javeri passes away at 90
- The famous and noted AIR Newsreader Sushil Javeri has passed away in Ahmedabad, Gujarat at the age of 90. he was suffering from COVID-19.
- Javeri has served in the News Services Division of All India Radio for a period of almost 40 years.
19. Former Asian Gold Medalist GM Khan passes away at 75
- The Asian Games gold medallist rider Colonel Gulam Mohammad Khan (Retired) has taken his last breath at the age of 75. he won the gold medal in the 1982 Asian Games.
- He joined the Indian Military Academy in the year 1973.
20. International No Diet Day: 06 May
- International No Diet Day is observed on May 6, and its symbol is a light blue ribbon.
- The day is dedicated to promoting a healthy lifestyle with a focus on the health of any size and in raising awareness of the potential dangers of dieting and the unlikelihood of success.
Current Affair Links
|MCQ Current Affair Links||Hindu Editorial Vocabulary Links|
|May 1||May 1||May 1|
|May 2||May 2||May 2|
|May 3||May 3||May 3|
|May 4||May 4||May 4|
|May 5||May 5||May 5|
|May 6||May 6||May 6|
|May 7||May 7||May 7|
|May 8||May 8||May 8|
|May 9||May 9||May 9|
|May 10||May 10||May 10|
|May 11||May 11||May 11|
|May 12||May 12||May 12|
|May 13||May 13||May 13|
|May 14||May 14||May 14|
|May 15||May 15||May 15|
|May 16||May 16||May 16|
|May 17||May 17||May 17|
|May 18||May 18||May 18|
|May 19||May 19||May 19|
|May 20||May 20||May 20|
|May 21||May 21||May 21|
|May 22||May 22||May 22|
|May 23||May 23||May 23|
|May 24||May 24||May 24|
|May 25||May 25||May 25|
|May 26||May 26||May 26|
|May 27||May 27||May 27|
|May 28||May 28||May 28|
|May 29||May 29||May 29|
|May 30||May 30||May 30|
|May 31||May 31||May 31|
Connect with us on Social Media
Bidyasagar Classes Address
Plot No-N-6-325, Biju Patnaik College Road, Infront of SBI, Jayadev Vihar, Bhubaneswar
Opening and closing hours: Monday to Sunday :7AM-9PM
e-Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org