1. The Indian Army has formed a COVID-19 management cell
- The Indian Army has developed a Covid Management Cell to improve efficiency in organizing real-time responses to the country’s exponential increase in Covid cases.
- An exclusive Covid Management Cell, led by a Director-General rank officer and reporting directly to the Vice Chief of Army Staff, has been formed to coordinate multiple aspects of staffing and logistics support.
2. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Centre has released an advance of over Rs 8,923 crore to 25 States for grants to Rural Local Bodies
- In anticipation of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Centre has allocated over 8,923 crore rupees to 25 states for grants to Rural Local Bodies.
- All three levels of Panchayati Raj Institutions – town, block, and district – are eligible for the grants.
Banking & Finance News
3. India and the European Investment Bank (EIB) have signed a financing agreement for the second tranche of 150 million Euros for the Pune Metro Rail
- The Government of India and the European Investment Bank (EIB) signed a virtual signing ceremony for the second tranche of the 150 million Euro finance contract for the Pune Metro Rail project.
In addition, the project would benefit a large population of working-class people by providing urban mobility for their livelihood. The Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation Ltd is the project’s implementation department.
4. The Reserve Bank of India has removed Lakshmi Vilas Bank from the second schedule of the RBI Act
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) announced that Lakshmi Vilas Bank (LVB) has been removed from the Second Schedule of the RBI Act.
- This occurred after LVB merged with DBS Bank India. LVB is the second private sector bank to face difficulties this year, following Yes Bank.
5. Assam’s current chief minister is Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Himanta Biswa Sarma has been elected the next chief minister of Assam, succeeding incumbent Sarbananda Sonowal.
- After days of backroom lobbying in Guwahati and official meetings in Delhi following the declaration of assembly election results on May 2, Sarma’s name was officially confirmed at the first legislature party meeting of the 60 newly-elected MLAs of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), held at the state assembly.
6. Alexander Zverev defeated Matteo Berrettini to win the Madrid Open for the second time
- In tennis, Alexander Zverev defeated Matteo Berrettini to win the Madrid Open for the second time.
- Marcel Granollers of Spain and Horacio Zeballos of Argentina won the men’s doubles final, defeating Nikola Mektic and Mate Pavic of Croatia 1-6, 6-3, 10-8.
7. The Spanish Grand Prix is won by Lewis Hamilton
- In the Spanish Grand Prix, Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes drove a brilliant, attacking, and strategic race to defeat Red Bull’s Max Verstappen.
- Despite losing the lead to Verstappen at the first corner, Hamilton won his third race in a row.
Awards & Honours News
8. Bags from KVG Bank PFRDA honours
- The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority has given Karnataka Vikas Grameen Bank (KVGB), a regional rural bank headquartered in Dharwad, five awards (Lead to Leap, APY Makers of Excellence, Game Changers, Leadership Capital, and Amazing Achievers) for various campaigns held for enrolment in the Atal Pension Yojana (APY) (PFRDA).
- The bank is a key player in the implementation of social security schemes like the Atal Pension Yojana (APY), Prime Minister Jeevan Jyothi Bima Yojana (PMJJBY), and Prime Minister Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY).
9. At the Laureus World Sports Awards, Naomi Osaka was voted “Sportswoman of the Year.”
- Naomi Osaka, the world No. 2 tennis player, was voted “Sportswoman of the Year” at the Laureus World Sports Awards for her accomplishments on and off the court, while tennis legend Billie Jean King earned the Laureus Academy’s “Lifetime Achievement Prize.”
- This is Osaka’s second Laureus Sports Award nomination.
Books & Authors News
10. Kalki Koechlin has written a book about motherhood called “Elephant In The Womb.”
- Publisher Penguin Random House India (PRHI) has confirmed that actress Kalki Koechlin will make her debut as an author with an illustrated non-fiction book on motherhood.
- The novel, Elephant In The Womb, will be a mix of personal essays and think-pieces, with illustrations by Valeriya Polyanychko.
11.Raghunath Mohapatra, a renowned sculptor, has died
- Padma Vibhushan Raghunath Mohapatra, an eminent sculptor and Rajya Sabha member, died at the AIIMS-Bhubaneswar while receiving treatment for COVID-19. He was 77 years old at the time.
- Mr Mohapatra was elected to the Rajya Sabha by President Ram Nath Kovind in 2018, making him the first person from Odisha to do so. In 2013, he was awarded India’s second-highest civilian award, the Padma Vibhushan, for his contributions to stone sculpture.
12.Lalit Ram, a veteran of the Indian National Army (INA), has died
- Lalit Ram, a freedom fighter and former member of the Indian National Army (INA) died. He was a hundred years old.
- At an event commemorating the 75th anniversary of freedom fighter Subhas Chandra Bose’s proclamation of the “Azad Hind Sarkar,” Lalti Ram presented Prime Minister Narendra Modi with a cap from the pre-Independence INA.
13. Maharaj Krishan Kaushik and Ravinder Pal Singh, two of India’s best hockey players, have died
- Maharaj Krishan Kaushik and Ravinder Pal Singh, both members of India’s gold-medal-winning hockey team from the 1980 Moscow Olympics, died.
- Kaushik, a goal scorer in India’s 1980 Games final against Spain, died in a Delhi hospital after a struggle with Covid-19. He was 66 years old at the time.
Connect with us on Social Media
Bidyasagar Classes Address
Plot No-N-6-325, Biju Patnaik College Road, Infront of SBI, Jayadev Vihar, Bhubaneswar
Opening and closing hours: Monday to Sunday :7AM-9PM
e-Mail : email@example.com