1. Chhattisgarh creates CGTeeka web portal for systematic vaccination of citizens
- Making Covid vaccination registration fast, easy, and hassle-free, the Chhattisgarh government has created a web portal ‘CGTeeka’ for systematic vaccination of people in the age group 18-44 years.
- Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel launched this web portal, which was created by CHiPS.
2. India hosts the first virtual meeting of the BRICS Jobs Working Group (EWG)
- In 2021, the BRICS Employment Working Group (EWG) held its first virtual meeting. The meeting was chaired by India, which will take over as the BRICS President in 2021.
- Shri Apurva Chandra, Secretary of Labour and Jobs, presided over the conference.
3. According to a World Bank estimate, India will earn $83 billion in remittances in 2020
- According to the World Bank’s “Migration and Development Brief,” India was the largest beneficiary of remittances in 2020. Since 2008, India has been the top recipient of remittances. However, India earned over USD 83 billion in remittances in 2020, a 0.2 percent decrease from 2019. (USD 83.3 billion).
- Globally, remittances totaled USD 540 billion in 2020, down 1.9 percent from USD 548 billion in 2019.
4. By the end of the year, India is likely to have a third power exchange, BSE, operated by PTC
- PTC, BSE, and ICICI Bank-led Pranurja Solution Ltd have been granted registration by the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC) to launch the country’s third power exchange.
Indian Energy Exchange and Power Exchange of India Ltd are the other two power exchanges.
5. Users of Google Pay in the United States can now send money to India and Singapore
- For users of its U.S. payments app, Alphabet Inc’s Google has announced foreign money transfer agreements with remittance firms Wise and Western Union Co.
- Google Pay users in the US can now send money to app users in India and Singapore, with plans to extend to the 80 countries supported by Wise and 200 countries supported by Western Union by the end of the year.
6. The all-electric motorcycle brand ‘LiveWire’ is launched by Harley-Davidson
- Harley-Davidson Inc. has introduced the “LiveWire” all-electric motorcycle brand, the company’s latest attempt to increase bets on the increasingly rising electric vehicle industry.
- The company plans to establish a separate electric vehicle division in order to appeal to the next generation of environmentally conscious riders.
Banking & Finance
7. Eroute Technologies has been granted PPI authorization by the RBI
- Eroute Technologies has been given permission to operate as a prepaid payment instruments (PPI) business by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- Eroute Technologies Pvt Ltd was granted a perpetual license by the RBI to begin issuing and operating semi-closed pre-paid instruments in the country.
8. Geojit has inked a deal with PNB to have a three-in-one account
- Geojit Financial Services has partnered with Punjab National Bank to give the latter’s customers a three-in-one account.
- Customers who have a PNB savings account, a PNB Demat account, and a Geojit trading account can now take advantage of the new service.
- PNB offers a hassle-free way to open savings and Demat accounts online.
9. PayPal has launched a digital overseas remittance advice service
- PayPal has launched an automated process for obtaining monthly international inward remittance advice (FIRA), which allows Indian merchants to download their monthly digital FIRA issued by banks.
The automated process eliminates the need for sellers to submit manual and individual requests, shortening the time it takes to file paperwork. The free initiatives are designed to help Indian MSME exporters expand their businesses internationally.
Business & Economy
10. In April, retail inflation fell to 4.29 percent
- Retail inflation in the region, as measured by the Consumer Price Index (CPI), fell to 4.29 percent in April.
- Separately, the Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation reported that India’s factory output increased by 22.4 percent in March, as calculated by the Index of Industrial Production (IIP) (MoSPI).
11. In April, the FAO’s global food price index rose to its highest level since mid-2014
- According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, world food prices rose for the 11th month in a row in April, reaching their highest level since May 2014, with sugar leading a rise in all major indices.
- Last month, the Food and Agriculture Organization’s food price index, which calculates monthly adjustments for a basket of cereals, oilseeds, dairy products, meat, and sugar, averaged 120.9 points, down from 118.9 in March.
12. Manisha Kapoor has joined the ICAS executive committee
- Manisha Kapoor, the general secretary of the Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI), has been named to the executive committee of the International Council for Advertising Self-Regulation (ICAS).
- ASCI was a member of the executive committee for a two-year term until April.
13. Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni was sworn in for a sixth term
- Yoweri Museveni, Uganda’s 76-year-old president, was sworn in for a sixth term.
- His decision comes after he was proclaimed the winner of elections held on Jan. 14 this year, securing 58 percent of the vote to his closest competitor, Bobi Wine’s 35 percent.
14. Martin Griffiths has been appointed as the new UN Humanitarian Coordinator
- Martin Griffiths, a veteran British diplomat, has been named the current Chief of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) for a five-year term.
- As OCHA’s new Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator (USG/ERC), Griffiths will succeed Mark Lowcock. He is currently the Special Envoy of the United Nations for Yemen.
Awards & Honours
15. Shakuntala Hark Singh, an Indian woman, has been awarded the World Food Award for 2021
- Dr Shakuntala Hark Singh Thilstad, an Indian-origin global nutritionist, has been awarded the “World Food Award” for the year 2021. He won an award for his research on developing a holistic and nutritionally sensitive approach to seafood and food systems.
The Nobel Prize for Food and Agriculture is another name for the honor.
Books & Authors
16. “Klara and the Sun” is a storey about a girl named Klara. Kazuo Ishiguro’s novel
- Klara and the Sun is Kazuo Ishiguro’s first novel since winning the Nobel Prize in Literature, and it tells the storey of Klara, an Artificial Friend with exceptional observational abilities who, from her perch in the store, carefully observes the actions of those who come in to shop and those who walk by on the street outside.
- She is also optimistic that a customer will select her in the near future.
17. “All Time Favorites for Girls,” a new book by Ruskin Bond
- Ruskin Bond, India’s favorite author, has released a new book titled “All Time Favourites For Children” that contains a carefully selected and handpicked selection of his short stories.
On his 87th birthday, May 19, the Landour-based veteran author, who has also received civilian honors such as the Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan, will release the book.
18. Arjuna’s Victory V Chandrasekhar, a table tennis player, has died
- V Chandrasekhar, a former India table tennis player who won the Arjune trophy, died as a result of COVID-19 complications. Chandra, as he was known, won the national championship three times.
The Chennai-born athlete, who reached the Commonwealth Games semifinals in 1982, was also a professional coach.
Current Affair Links
|MCQ Current Affair Links||Hindu Editorial Vocabulary Links|
|May 1||May 1||May 1|
|May 2||May 2||May 2|
|May 3||May 3||May 3|
|May 4||May 4||May 4|
|May 5||May 5||May 5|
|May 6||May 6||May 6|
|May 7||May 7||May 7|
|May 8||May 8||May 8|
|May 9||May 9||May 9|
|May 10||May 10||May 10|
|May 11||May 11||May 11|
|May 12||May 12||May 12|
|May 13||May 13||May 13|
|May 14||May 14||May 14|
|May 15||May 15||May 15|
|May 16||May 16||May 16|
|May 17||May 17||May 17|
|May 18||May 18||May 18|
|May 19||May 19||May 19|
|May 20||May 20||May 20|
|May 21||May 21||May 21|
|May 22||May 22||May 22|
|May 23||May 23||May 23|
|May 24||May 24||May 24|
|May 25||May 25||May 25|
|May 26||May 26||May 26|
|May 27||May 27||May 27|
|May 28||May 28||May 28|
|May 29||May 29||May 29|
|May 30||May 30||May 30|
|May 31||May 31||May 31|
Connect with us on Social Media
Bidyasagar Classes Address
Plot No-N-6-325, Biju Patnaik College Road, Infront of SBI, Jayadev Vihar, Bhubaneswar
Opening and closing hours: Monday to Sunday :7AM-9PM
e-Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org