1. Malerkotla to Be Punjab’s 23rd District: CM Amarinder Singh
- Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh announced the creation of a new district of Malerkotla, carving the state’s only Muslim-majority town from Sangrur district.
- Adjoining Amargarh and Ahmedgarh will also form part of Punjab’s 23rd district.
2. The Chhattisgarh government will fund the education of children who have been orphaned as a result of Covid-19.
- The Chhattisgarh government has announced that it would cover the costs of education for children whose parents have died as a result of COVID-19. For such children, the state government has decided to launch the ‘Chhattisgarh Mahtari Dular Yojna.’
- Children in Classes 1 to 8 will receive a monthly stipend of Rs 500, and children in Classes 9 to 12 will receive a monthly stipend of Rs 1,000. This stipend would be available to students in both public and private schools.
3. Over 9.50 crore farmers have received the eighth installment of the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has distributed the eighth installment of the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) financial gain to over 9 crores 50 lakh farmers across the world
- Over 20 thousand crore rupees have been transferred directly into the accounts of the beneficiary farmers under the eighth installment of the world’s largest direct cash transfer scheme.
4. In Himachal Pradesh’s Sloan district, the AYUSH Department has launched a statewide wellness program called “AYUSH Ghar Dwar” for COVID-19 patients.
- In Himachal Pradesh’s Sloan district, the AYUSH Department launched a state-wide wellness program called “AYUSH Ghar Dwar” for COVID-19 patients.
- Via AYUSH, this program aims to provide a Holistic Healthcare Approach to COVID patients, ensuring not only physical but also emotional, social, and spiritual well-being.
Banking & Finance
5. DigiGold is a digital gold investment platform launched by Airtel Payments Bank.
- DigiGold is a digital network that allows Airtel Payments Bank customers to invest in gold.
- DigiGold was launched in collaboration with SafeGold, a distributor of digital gold, which enables customers to start investing as little as Re 1.
6. The Reserve Bank of India has revoked the United Co-operative Bank’s license in West Bengal.
- United Co-operative Bank Ltd, Bagnan, West Bengal, has had its license revoked by the Reserve Bank of India because it lacks sufficient resources and earning prospects.
- With effect from the close of business on May 13, 2021, the bank ceases to conduct banking business.
Business & Economy
7. After 15 years of service, GoAir has changed its name to Go First.
- GoAir, operated by the Wadia Group, has rebranded as ‘Go First’ after 15 years in the sky, as the carrier focuses on an ultra-low-cost business model in the face of pandemic headwinds.
- The news comes as rumors emerged that the airline was planning to sell a portion of its stock to raise funds for its ambitious expansion plans.
8. KP Sharma Oli is sworn in as Nepal’s Prime Minister; the previous cabinet remains in place.
- Sharma, K P Days after losing a critical vote of confidence in Parliament, Oli was sworn in as Nepal’s Prime Minister. At a ceremony at Shital Niwas, the presidential palace, President Bidya Devi Bhandari administered the oath of office and secrecy to Oli, 69, as the 43rd Prime Minister of Nepal.
- In his capacity as the leader of Nepal’s largest political party in the House of Representatives, President Oli named Oli as Prime Minister.
9. The United Kingdom has appointed David Attenborough as its new Prime Minister. People’s Advocate at COP26
- Sir David Attenborough, a world-renowned natural historian, and broadcaster, has been elected the COP26 People’s Advocate for the United Kingdom’s Presidency of the United Nations Climate Change Summit in Glasgow this November.
- With less than six months before the United Kingdom hosts crucial climate talks, the enthusiastic conservationist is tasked with making a persuasive case to global leaders, key policymakers, and the general public for why climate change is important, demonstrating progress, and highlighting the steps decision-makers would need to take ahead of and at COP26.
10. Ramesh Powar has been appointed as the new head coach of the Indian Women’s Cricket Team.
- Former Indian cricketer Ramesh Powar has been appointed head coach of the Indian Women’s Cricket Team by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). Over 35 applications were received after the Indian cricket board advertised the role.
- Powar will take over as head coach of the Indian women’s team from WV Raman, who was appointed in December 2018. India made it to the finals of the T20 World Cup 2020 during Raman’s tenure.
11. Elisabetta Belloni has been elected the first female head of the Italian secret service.
- The first woman to head Italy’s secret services has been elected. She is a former ambassador. Elisabetta Belloni has been appointed director of the Department of Information Security by Prime Minister Mario Draghi (DIS).
- The department, which reports directly to the Italian government, is in charge of the country’s international and domestic intelligence services. After working as a diplomat in Vienna and Bratislava, Ms Belloni became the first woman to head the Italian foreign ministry’s crisis unit from 2004 to 2008.
Awards & Honours
12. In the same season, a Nepali Sherpa sets a world record by climbing Everest twice in the shortest time possible.
- Mingma Tenji Sherpa, a 43-year-old Nepali mountain guide, set a world record by climbing Mount Everest twice in the same season.
- Sherpa, a resident of eastern Nepal’s Sankhuwasabha district, first reached the summit of Everest in the evening of May 7 as part of a rope-fixing team, and then again on the morning of May 11 as part of a rope-fixing team.
13. The 50 Greatest Leaders in the World: Fortune’s list has New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern at the top, with Adar Poonawalla in the top ten.
- Jacinda Ardern, the Prime Minister of New Zealand, has been named to Fortune Magazine’s list of the “World’s 50 Greatest Leaders” for 2021.
- The ‘World’s 50 Greatest Leaders’ list for 2021 is the eighth edition of the annual list, which honors leaders, some well-known and others less so, who made a difference during the Covid-19 pandemic’s “truly unparalleled times.”
14. UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon pays tribute to Indian peacekeeper Yuvraj Singh, who died in the line of duty in 2020.
- A solemn remembrance service paid tribute to over 300 United Nations personnel who died last year, the largest number of UN colleagues lost in a single year. An Indian peacekeeper who died in the line of duty in 2020 was honored.
- Corporal Yuvraj Singh was one of 336 UN personnel killed in the line of duty between January 1 and December 31, 2020, as a result of COVID-19 and related events.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
15. DRDO develops an Oxycare system to regulate oxygen in the patients body
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation, DRDO has developed an Oxycare system to regulate oxygen being administered to the patients based on the sensed values of oxygen saturation in the body.
- The intelligent configuration of this Oxycare system provides automatic regulation of oxygen through a Low-Pressure Regulator and Electronic Control System.
16. Zhu Rong, China’s first Mars rover, has successfully landed on the Red Planet.
- Zhu Rong, China’s first Mars rover, has successfully landed on the Red Planet.
- Tianwen-1, which consists of an orbiter, a lander, and a rover, was launched from the Wenchang Spacecraft Launch Site on the coast of southern China’s island province of Hainan on July 23, 2020, and reached Mars orbit in February this year, according to state media.
17. Indu Jain, the chairman of the Times Group, has died.
- Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd (BCCL) chairman and media owner Indu Jain passed away. She died at the age of 84.
- Jain, a spiritualist, created the Times Foundation in 2000 with one of its main goals being sustainable growth. The Times Relief Fund is managed by the Foundation, which participates in community service and provides assistance in the event of natural disasters.
- Jain was a proponent of global peace. She spoke at the United Nations Millennium World Peace Summit of Religious and Spiritual Leaders in 2000.
18. Families Day is a worldwide celebration of families.
- The United Nations has designated May 15 as International Day of Families, with the aim of dedicating the entire day to families and emphasizing their significance. The 15th of May has been designated as Family Day since 1994.
“Families and New Technologies” is the theme of this year’s International Day of Families.
Current Affair Links
|MCQ Current Affair Links||Hindu Editorial Vocabulary Links|
|May 1||May 1||May 1|
|May 2||May 2||May 2|
|May 3||May 3||May 3|
|May 4||May 4||May 4|
|May 5||May 5||May 5|
|May 6||May 6||May 6|
|May 7||May 7||May 7|
|May 8||May 8||May 8|
|May 9||May 9||May 9|
|May 10||May 10||May 10|
|May 11||May 11||May 11|
|May 12||May 12||May 12|
|May 13||May 13||May 13|
|May 14||May 14||May 14|
|May 15||May 15||May 15|
|May 16||May 16||May 16|
|May 17||May 17||May 17|
|May 18||May 18||May 18|
|May 19||May 19||May 19|
|May 20||May 20||May 20|
|May 21||May 21||May 21|
|May 22||May 22||May 22|
|May 23||May 23||May 23|
|May 24||May 24||May 24|
|May 25||May 25||May 25|
|May 26||May 26||May 26|
|May 27||May 27||May 27|
|May 28||May 28||May 28|
|May 29||May 29||May 29|
|May 30||May 30||May 30|
|May 31||May 31||May 31|
Connect with us on Social Media
Bidyasagar Classes Address
Plot No-N-6-325, Biju Patnaik College Road, Infront of SBI, Jayadev Vihar, Bhubaneswar
Opening and closing hours: Monday to Sunday :7AM-9PM
e-Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org