Important Daily Current Affairs of 22nd May 2021
1. DRDO creates the ‘DIPCOVAN’ Covid-19 antibody detection pack.
- A Covid-19 antibody detection kit has been developed by India’s Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO).
- DIPCOVAN is used to detect IgG antibodies in human serum or plasma that are specific for antigens associated with SARS-CoV-2.
2. PM Modi announces a relief package worth Rs 1,000 crore for cyclone-ravaged Gujarat
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced a relief package worth Rs. 1000 crore for Gujarat’s cyclone-ravaged areas.
- This package has been provided, according to reports, for the restoration work in the areas ravaged by the extremely serious cyclonic storm.
3. Jharkhand has been ranked first in the country for introducing Smart City Mission schemes
- In a recent ranking released by the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Government of India, Jharkhand was ranked first, based on the success of the Smart City Mission’s schemes operating in different 100 cities across the country’s 36 states and union territories. The state of Rajasthan came in second place in the rankings.
- Simultaneously, Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand, has risen to 12th place in terms of development on the ongoing mission plans in 100 cities.
4. Mucormycosis should be made a notifiable disease under the Epidemic Diseases Act of 1897, according to the Centre.
- The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has urged states and union territories to make Mucormycosis, also known as black fungus, a notifiable disease under the Epidemic Diseases Act 1897.
- The Ministry has asked all government and private health facilities, as well as medical colleges, to meet the Union Health Ministry’s and Indian Council of Medical Research’s guidelines for Mucormycosis screening, diagnosis, and management.
5. India and Oman have renewed their memorandum of understanding on military cooperation, as well as maritime concerns.
- India and Oman have renewed their Memorandums of Understanding, or MoUs, on military cooperation, as well as maritime issues.
- Muscat’s Ministry of Defense hosted a signing ceremony for a Memorandum of Understanding on military cooperation. The document was signed by Dr Mohammed bin Nasser Al Zaabi, Secretary-General of the Ministry of Defense of Oman, and Munu Mahawar, Ambassador of India to Oman.
Banking & Finance
6. IDBI Bank has launched a new framework for digital loan processing.
- IDBI Bank has launched its completely digitised loan processing system, which includes more than 50 items for MSME and agriculture.
- The LPS for MSME and Agri products integrates seamlessly with data fintech, bureau validations, record storage, account management, and customer alerts, among other things.
7. For FY21, the RBI will pass a surplus of Rs. 99,122 crore to the Central Government
- For the nine-month period ending March 31, 2021, the Reserve Bank of India will pass a surplus of Rs 99,122 crore to the Central Government (July 2020-March 2021). The 5.50 percent Contingency Risk Buffer would remain unchanged.
- This year, RBI’s accounting year was revised from July-June to April-March to correspond with the government’s accounting year.
8. The government has extended the deadline for filing IT returns for the fiscal year 2021-22
- The government has extended the deadline for filing Individual Income Tax Returns for the Assessment Year 2021-22 by two months, from July 31st to September 30th, 2021.
- The government has also pushed back the deadline for filing Income Tax Returns for corporations for the Assessment Year 2021-2022 from October 31st to November 30th.
Business & Economy
9. The deadline for filing ITRs for FY21 has been pushed back by two months, to September 30
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has extended the deadline for individuals to file income tax returns for assessment year (AY) 2021-22 by two months, to September 30, 2021. The deadline had previously been set for July 31, 2021.
- The decision to extend the deadlines for filing returns under the Income Tax Act of 1961 was made to help taxpayers affected by the Covid pandemic.
10. Sreejesh is now a member of the FIH Athletes’ Committee
- During the virtual meeting of the world body’s Executive Board, goalkeeper PR Sreejesh of the Star India hockey team was re-appointed to the International Hockey Federation (FIH) Athletes’ Committee.
- Since 2017, he has been a member of the panel. Sreejesh, who has previously led the Indian team, was one of four new members named by the EB, which met two days before the 47th FIH Congress, which will also be broadcast live online.
11. For the second time, Pinarayi Vijayan is sworn in as Kerala’s chief minister
- After Governor Arif Mohammad Khan administered the oath of office to Vijayan and his 20 cabinet colleagues at an event at the central stadium, the LDF government headed by Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan took office for the second consecutive term.
- Vijayan, who is the first Chief Minister in Kerala to be re-elected for a second consecutive term, has a 21-member cabinet with 17 new faces, including eight first-time legislators. There are also three women in the Cabinet.
12. Barcelona Women won the Women’s Champions League trophy after defeating Chelsea Women
- The Women’s Champions League was won by Barcelona Women, who defeated Chelsea Women. Barcelona blew Chelsea away in Gothenburg, scoring four goals in the first 36 minutes to win the Women’s Champions League for the first time.
- The Women’s Champions League is the first time a Spanish team has won it. Barcelona becomes the first team to win both the men’s and women’s Champions Leagues, and this was the largest margin of victory in a women’s final ever.
13. Sami Khedira, Germany’s World Cup-winning midfielder, has announced his retirement
- Sami Khedira, Germany’s World Cup-winning midfielder, has announced that he will retire after Hertha Berlin’s final Bundesliga match against Hoffenheim.
- Khedira, 34, started his career with VfB Stuttgart, where he helped them win the Bundesliga title in 2006-07. He then moved to Real Madrid, where he won the league and the Champions League during a trophy-laden spell.
Awards & Honours
14. Six Indian locations have been added to UNESCO’s tentative list of World Heritage Sites
- The Kanchipuram temples in Tamil Nadu, the Ganga ghats in Varanasi, and the Satpura Tiger Reserve in Madhya Pradesh have all been added to the provisional list of UNESCO world heritage sites, according to the Ministry of Culture.
- The Archaeological Survey of India, which is in charge of the protection and restoration of Indian monuments, made the submissions.
Science & Technology
15. On June 15, 2022, Microsoft will retire the venerable Internet Explorer
- Microsoft has announced that its legendary Internet Explorer (IE) browser will be retired on June 15, 2022, after more than 25 years of operation. In 1995, Microsoft released the Internet Explorer (IE) browser.
- Before June 15, 2022, Microsoft recommends that users upgrade to Microsoft Edge (2015) for a quicker, more stable, and more modern browsing experience.
16. On International Museum Day, the National Gallery of Modern Art introduces an audio-visual guide app
- On the occasion of International Museum Day, the National Gallery of Modern Art (NGMA) released an Audio-Visual Guide App.
According to the Ministry of Culture, museum visitors will now be able to listen to anecdotes and stories about the prized Indian modern art on display at the Gallery via their smartphone.
17. Coach O P Bhardwaj, India’s first Dronacharya Awardee, has died
- Om Prakash Bharadwaj, the first boxing coach to receive the Dronacharya award in 1985, died after a long illness and old age. He was 82 years old at the time.
- Bharadwaj, who coached the national team for many years until the early 1990s, was instrumental in the establishment of the NIS Patiala boxing course in 1975.
18. Sunderlal Bahuguna, an environmentalist, has died
- Sunderlal Bahuguna, a well-known environmentalist and Gandhian, has died. He was 94 years old at the time. Mr Bahuguna, a leader in environmental conservation, led the charge in the 1980s against the building of large dams in the Himalayas. He was adamantly opposed to the Tehri dam’s design.
- Bahuguna, who lived in his Silyara ashram in Tehri Garhwal for decades, inspired many young people with his environmental activism. His ashram welcomed young people, with whom he easily interacted.
19. Prashant Mohapatra, the former Odisha captain, has died
- Prashant Mohapatra, the former captain of the Odisha cricket team, died of COVID-19 while receiving care at AIIMS in Bhubaneswar. He was 47 years old.
Prashant, also known as Munna, was a right-handed batsman who opened the innings. He made his cricket debut against Tamil Nadu as a member of the state’s under-19 team. In 1990, he made his Ranji Trophy debut against Bihar.
20. International Day for Biological Diversity: 22nd May
Every year on May 22nd, the United Nations commemorates International Day for Biological Diversity to raise awareness about the problem of a substantial loss of biological diversity as a result of some human activities.
Biological diversity encompasses a broad range of plants, animals, and microorganisms, as well as genetic variations within each species, such as between crop varieties and livestock breeds.
Connect with us on Social Media
Bidyasagar Classes Address
Plot No-N-6-325, Biju Patnaik College Road, Infront of SBI, Jayadev Vihar, Bhubaneswar
Opening and closing hours: Monday to Sunday :7AM-9PM
e-Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org